Flubenvet pellet treatment

Harry Lineker

Hatching
Jul 14, 2022
Hi all,

Ive had 3 hens since the start of May 2022 they were purchased as POL so i estimate them to be 8 months old-ish.

A few weeks ago i noticed one was sneezing and had an awful cough to her. I suspected Gapeworm so treated the whole flock with Flubenvet pellets. The first treatment was on the 7th July for 1 week till the 14th. Ive since lost the hen that was really ill so now have 2 left. Ive noticed another now doing the typical Gaping of her throat, shes doing it too regular to pass it off as crop readjustment ect. So i started treatment again on the 24th July to run until the 31st July.

My question is should i retreat them in another 7 days or is them two doses adequate even though the original was 10 days before. Ive read about retreating but also read that if you treat too regular it can decrease there natural immunity.

Can i add that i live in a suburb and the chickens came from a farm around 30mins away. I know Gapeworm is rare so i suspect the bird came from the farm already having it. Or i think as they went through the vaccinations that my chicken was unlucky enough to be missed in this process.

Should i just wait and see what happens? She doesnt seem to be going down hill and is acting normally.

Many Thanks

It sounds like symptoms of a respiratory disease with sneezing, coughing, and gaping. I would try an antibiotic that will treat mycoplamsa (MG,) such as Tylosin, oxytetracycline, or tiamulin. If in the UK you will need to get those from a vet. True gapeworm is rare, the chicken cannot get their breath well enough to eat or drink. Your vet can examine droppings for gapeworm and other worm eggs.

It sounds like symptoms of a respiratory disease with sneezing, coughing, and gaping. I would try an antibiotic that will treat mycoplamsa (MG,) such as Tylosin, oxytetracycline, or tiamulin. If in the UK you will need to get those from a vet. True gapeworm is rare, the chicken cannot get their breath well enough to eat or drink. Your vet can examine droppings for gapeworm and other worm eggs.
Thank you, thats what i thought too.

Im going to try some Tylosin hopefully it will do the trick. Is it advised to run a course of probiotics afterwards?

Back
Top Bottom