Fluconazole Dosge Help Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thailand, Jan 22, 2017.

1. thailand

thailand Chillin' With My Peeps

I need some help figuring out the dosage for Fluconazole please. The capsules I have on hand are 200mg.

All help much appreciated. Many thanks [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    5 mg per pound (or 10mg per Kg) given orally once a day for 7 days is the dosage, at least from what I can find.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  3. thailand

Thanks Eggscessive,

But - if the capsules I have are 200mg....what does that equate too? (Maths is not a strong point [​IMG] ) Do I open the capsule and just give 1/2??? Is even that too much?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Depending on how soluble the powder inside the capsule is, it might be easier to mix one tablet in water or thin yogurt and divide it into dosages. Yogurt in a small amount or similar might be easier to mix into. A syringe without a needle would be a good way to draw it up and divide it. If your chicken weighs 4 1/2 pounds they should get 20mg., if it weighs 2 pounds give 1/2 ml. Keep in mind that 2.2 pounds equals 1 Kg, and the dosage is 10 mg per Kg or each 2.2 pounds. If you dissolve a 200mg tablet into 10 ml of water or thinned yogurt, each ml would equal 10 mg. Be careful to make sure the mixture stays mixed up since the medicine will quickly settle out. I would probably place the mixture in a cup, and each time I drew up the dose, I would mix it well. I hope this helps, but just remember the dosage will be an estimate, not exact. I have to confess that I have mixed medicines such as antibiotics capsules amoxicillin into things like liverwurst or cream chesse, and mixed to extreme, then divided the doses for my dogs before. It helps to have the correct dose, but. In an emergency this worked for me. I worked in a pharmacy many years ago, and I had to mix medicated creams and ointments that were in small batches, so I had practice getting the ingredients equally mixed.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. thailand

FABULOUS!!!!!! Thanks so much for replying....that is just brilliant. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by