1. lilhippiemomma

lilhippiemomma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    Has anyone ever treated their chicken with fluconazole? If so, how well did it work and do you know what dose to give?

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    What type of drug is it, and what is it used for? What are you trying to treat?

You can search here on BYC for the drug name and see what you come up with.

3. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Fluconazole is usually used for vaginal yeast infections (in humans). I'm not quite sure why you would treat a chicken with this med..

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, it's pretty toxic to human livers, I'm not sure you'd want to give it to your chickens. I've not heard of chickens having any yeast or fungal diseases, and would think they'd be better treated by improved husbandry methods if such did occur in chickens.

5. Meadowchick

Meadowchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2014
    Louisiana
    Isn't vent gleet a fungal infection? If so, barring the toxicity to livers, if you want to risk that, fluconazole is a fungicide for human yeast or fungal infections...all over the body, including the mouth. And it IS hard on human livers.

6. amanda1

amanda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2015
    I know this is an old post but a vet just gave us this to put in our chickens nostril to treat a suspected air sac fungal infection. She mixed a very small amount with water and we are to give one drop in one nostril each day.

7. Chick29

Chick29 New Egg

May 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by