Fluctuating Humidity, Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by owlett5, Dec 22, 2013.

1. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    After finally getting some eggs, I have them set up in my brinsea 20. One of my questions and concerns is that I'm having a heck of a time maintaining constant humidity. It ranges about 50% to 60%. The Brinsea is designed to be rotated on it's side, base and other side for the process of turning eggs. But I'm finding that when I do rotate it, it has higher humidity on the sides, than when it is flat on the base. I adjust the ventilation accordingly, but, it's really fussy and hard to predict what it's going to do.

I'm a bit worried that this constant humidity change, especially since it's quite a bit higher than what I've heard is alright for 2 day old eggs, is going to affect my hatch rate. I'm just looking for some reassurance that this sort of fluctuation isn't going to cause my eggs to not hatch.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Rarely do fluctuation kill all the eggs unless they are severe. It may affect your hatch rate, but its hard to say without seeing how long they last and how the high the humidity spikes. It is possible that it hasn't done anything detrimental. Never give up on eggs, I have had them hatch despite some pretty serious snafus over the years. If possible push your humidity down so that your keeping it more between 45-55% try not to let it reach 60%.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    While 50% humidity range is preferred, 60% will not harm the embryo's. As stated above, it is the long term highs and lows of temp and humidity that do the damage. It is not that critical at this stage of the game. In the wild, many times hens do not produce enough moisture or offer them too much. That is nature.

You should be fine with your hatch. If something does go wrong in the end, it won't be because of the 60% humidity issue.

Keep us posted!

4. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    Thanks for your help! Eases my mind quite a bit! I'm "mother hen'ing" over my eggs hahaha. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it's going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by