fluffed scruffy chick....PICS ADDED PLEASE HELP .... MY SONS NOT HAPPY

amydurose

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
England
I got a chick a few weeks ago whos about 5 - 6 weeks old, She had bloody stools and I treated her with Coxoid. I think shes better now but shes still very fluffed up. Is this normal or is she still sick?

Last edited:
What's the temp in the brooder? What is it eating? What does the stool look like now?

It does sound like there is still a problem, but I can't guess without details.
hmm.png

The temp in the brooder is abot 90 beacause there are smaller chicks in there with her, Its dropping to 85 on Friday. I know shes older and doesnt need as much heat but I only have one brooder. Its plenty big enough for her to move out of the heat though. I dont really know exactly how old she is Im guessing 5 weeks at the youngest.. The lady on the farm had one stray chick and she gave it to my son. ( I would have said no but my son was so excited). Shes eating organic chick crumbs and she eats loads. Im from UK and I havent found medicated feed anywhere. Just finding the coxoid was difficult. Its not licenced for chickens over here only pigeons. Her poop is sloppyish but definatly no blood. She seems ok in herself she just looks messy and scruffy.

Oh I also give her ACV.

Here are some quick pics

the tops of her eyes look a bit wet
69103_img_0608.jpg

you can see fluffed up wings
69103_img_0609.jpg

69103_img_0610.jpg

69103_img_0611.jpg

the brownish marks are poop
hu.gif
I dont want to wash her if shes sick
69103_img_0612.jpg

I believe I would give her some chopped, hard boiled eggs (for the extra protein) and add Poly-Vi-Sol without iron to her drinking water. She may just be weak from the illness, and needs to gain her strength back

Im giving the hard boiled eggs and will find the other thing you mentioned , she jusrt doesnt seem sick. Its odd

this is her from behind. she looks like shes been electrocuted

69103_img_0614.jpg

She looks like she hasn't gotten all her feathers yet. Beyond that, is she still puffed up? Puffed up is coccida. Otherwise, she just needs to grow feathers in.

I don't know.
idunno.gif

She may still be too hot; this causes what you describe, and more. Have you checked the temp in the cooler part of the brooder?

Ive been out and bought another heat lamp and now shes in what i bought as a guinea pig cage but didnt use. The temp is about 85 in the hottest part. Im going to drop it slightly tomorrow. I didnt want to drop her all of a sudden. Hopefully thats what it is. The problem I have is Ive no idea her age. ( if she is a she)

Back
Top Bottom