Fluffed up after recent dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trixynsw, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Trixynsw

Trixynsw New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    Newcastle, Australia
    Hi all
    I'm a new chicken mum (1wk 1d) and wondering if we are doing the right thing so hoping for some advice. Our new layer jumped the fence into the mouth of our dog. Pic below after a couple of days of peroxcide. Spot is limping understandably and laying down a lot though investigating other nest boxes. She had some time separated from the others but all are playing nicely. We have a new smaller white egg presumably from Spot over the weekend (we were away for 26hrs). Spot is very much fluffed up. Could this be a recovering mechanism for the attack? Presuming she is very bruised internally on her leg but she is showing good signs other than the fluffiness. Appetite seems good. Is there anything I should be checking for or will she be good over time?

TIA!

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Fluffing up, as you describe can be a symptom of fever. I am far from an ER expert, but I'd suggest adding vitamin supplements / electrolytes to her water (or the whole flock) whilst waiting further suggestions. If you don't have any to hand, you can make your own -

To: 8 oz of warm water (about 103 to 105 degrees F)
    Add: 1/2 Tablespoon sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (taken from a post by @wingspan 2012)

Good luck
    CT

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  3. Trixynsw

Trixynsw New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    Newcastle, Australia
    Thank you for your suggestion CTKen! Will give it a go.

4. Trixynsw

Trixynsw New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    Newcastle, Australia
    Spot is looking and walking much better. It's been six days. Have bought some multi vitamin and electrolytes from the pet shop for the flock. We may have even had a smaller white egg from her over the weekend. Understandably not the same as her first with all her stress.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by