Fluffed up and pea green poop!! Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Well when it pours it might as well be a downpour! Came home today and noted one of my cornish hens was puffed and quiet. I picked her up to her disapproval and check her over. No sign of mite, lice, vent clean, crop soft, belly not swollen. When I put her down she ran outside and stopped to have a poop.... bright green and yellow watery ?urine? She then walked over to the side of the building and stood. I got her again and checker her out again... still can see nothing obvious. She is sitting puffed and eyes closed. I have had a bad run the last 2 months, but not like this. I did start Amprol today for ?cocci with one of my roos. ANy ideas on the pea green poop. I have found site that say can be from bile and that is because she is not eating enough.... lots of available food. She is not one who likes treats. Any help out there would be appreciated.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Green/yellow poop usually indicates a bacterial infection of some sort. Stress can cause gut bacteria to get out of whack, then the bad bacteria gets out of control and can possibly cause death eventually. To get the good gut bacteria flourishing in her again, you need to make a mixture of poultry nutri drench, gamebird feed, buttermilk and baytril all mixed as a liquid slurry and tube feed her at least twice a day. Baytril will require a script. It is a high powdered antibiotic to knock back the bacterial infection. The rest are vitamins/minerals/high protein and probiotics to rebuild her strength and immune system. You'll need to continue this treatment til she fully recovers.

3. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks Dawg.... I don't know what some of those items are or if I can even get them... what is a poultry drench? What is baytril.. generic name.... I am in NS canada. Limited supplies to work with. Also how do you tube feed a bird that barely lets you pick her up??? What do you use to tube feed?? i hope she makes it tomorrow. I work all day. Will try to find supplies tomorrow if available.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

she's sick.. picking her up will be easy. also, lightly tug her wattle down, and put the syringe in her mouth...

could see if you can get an albon persciption from your local vet... works wonders. Bring her in the house... if you don't have cat carrier or small dog carrier, a 45 gallon tote will work great. I put chicken wire over the top to keep my sickies in when I need to. keep her warm and feed her yogurts and eggs and pedialyte water... ect...
    hope she gets better.

5. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Well.... Yesterday I could not even figure out which cornish of my 4 that was off. I think today I can.... but every time I try to walk up to her she squakes and runs away. They are all still going out and pecking around, I did have one at lunch that was in the barn sitting down, but when I walked up to her it was like I woke her up and she freaked and ran off.... I will try to get hold of her again. I don't have some of the items to give her... wish I could get that nutri-drench product around here. will update later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by