1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fluffed up chick not acting like others

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickalicia, Mar 18, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have this chick he looks fluffed up. I have about 23 other chicks that look normal. Running around eating drinking and stuff. He will run eat and I have seen him drink but he is fluffy he is about three weeks old he looks depressed is what he looks like. What is it? What can I give to him. I don't have meds for chickens I do feed them medicated chick starter. Their area is cleaned few times a week just to make sure it's ok. Fresh water daily I took him inside today and put him in his own little place inside my home. What else can I do for the little guy?

2. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    What can I give to him to help? Plain yogurt I read anything else.

3. Mr King

Mr King Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    South Texas
    it can be so many things, Is he eating well and drinking?,how is his poop look like?,since when he started like that?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    At this age, coccidiosis may be a problem. Symptoms are lethargy, puffing up or hunching, diarrhea or blood in droppings, ruffled feathers, refusal to eat and later to drink. Corid (amprollium) a cattle medicine is used to treat them in the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water--treat all chicks in the group for 5 days. Afterward, a vitamin and probiotic for 3 days will help the bowel bacteria get back to normal.

5. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    Got the corid now time will tell Got the liquid and put it in their water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by