fluffed up chick, not acting right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinx, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Pinx

Pinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Hi,
    I have about 34, 2 day old chicks. If you have seen any of my posts I have lost 6 so far and 2 ducks. All were seeming fine but I would later find them dead. (Ducks and 3 chicks died before I could get them home and in the brooder)

I have one chick that is all fluffed up and won't walk around or do much of anything but stand there, when he falls asleep he is still standing but his head slowly goes to the ground until he is sleeping with his head on the ground and his butt in the air. He doesn't have a pasty but, but honestly most of the other chicks have remnants of poo on their butt... not pasty butt but you can see some one a strand of fluff. I don't know he just isn't acting right, all the other chicks are bedding down on one side of the brooder (the cooler side, but not all bunched together, kinda scattered around) and he stands right in the middle... just stands there. When I cough or something they all act like the sky is falling and a bomb could go off beside him and he wouldn't flinch...

Anyone know what is wrong and/or how I could save him? I don't think I can handle losing anymore.

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    How close is the light? Does his legs look weird?

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Cocci.

Deep clean your brooder area, make sure the litter is dry. Add sand to the run. Put the waterers up on blocks or milk crates--put sand and/or pea gravel around any waterer.

Buy some Corid and start treatment ASAP.

4. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:Oh yes I didn't think about that. I agree. It's cocci.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

6. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    The light is only pointing towards one side of the brooder so they can find a happy medium. The brooder is outside in the shop and the temp is still dropping so I have to kind of accomodate that. When I wake up in the mornings though they aren't all on the cooler side so I know they needed the light where it is after it started cooling off.

His legs don't look weird, but he won't stand all the way up anymore. He was walking around a little while ago ( I noticed cause he was kind of stand off-ish from the others) and his legs looked fine.

7. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Yes they are on medicated feed, their water and food are on a piece of wood already.

Where can I buy Corid?

Should I seperate him from the other chicks?

He pooped on me a second ago and there was like no liquid to it... very thick. I don't know if that helps any.

This is him....

[​IMG]

8. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Do they get it from the water? I've changed the water twice a day since I got them... And these are the first chickens I've had in this brooder...

Ugh this is nerve racking...

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You may be able to get the Corid at your local feed store, if not, it is available online. You should separate any sick chicks from the others. Cocci is spread through feces and contaminated soil. They have probably all been exposed. It may be too late to save this chick [​IMG] but you should be able to treat any others that fall ill.

Here is a link to some more info. Good luck. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=90731

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  10. Pinx

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    Thank you,
    I should have just asked my husband to begin with (but I'm not thinking right apparently), He works at our local feed store and says they do sell it. But they aren't open on Sundays...

This is probably what killed the others, UGH I wish I would have caught it sooner. SO I guess i'll get him set up in his own place. Even though he is barely breathing now. Is there anything I can do to at least TRY to help him? Or is Corid the only thing that will work? Maybe if I can just get him through until I can get my hands on some. I've never lost chickens to sickness... usually a dog or something so this is my first time dealing with any of this.

So if I change the bedding and water the other chicks won't be get it if they don't have it already right?

Ok I'm going to go change out everything, get him set up then come back and read through that link.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by