fluffed up lathargic hens. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nittanyxi, Nov 3, 2011.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I have 1 hen that is clearly sick. she is fluffed up and lathargic, but still responds to stimulus and will move around. I'm not sure if anymore are sick or not. Overall I would say they are all less active and spend more time standing around instead of scratching than they used to, but the weather has also changed and it's much colder than it was. no one has mucus of any kind or weapy eyes. poops look normal to me and I have heard an occasional sneeze but nothing that really gets my attention.

They are in a coop with a covered run. I have 15 hens just over a year old and I've gotten zero eggs in the last 13 days.

It's not entirely due to molting. some are currently molting but some had molted and started laying again.
    It's not due to day light. I have had lights coming on at 5am since Sept 12th.

I switched from pellets to crumbles sometime during the first 2 weeks of october and they are clearly not eating as much.
    from that time till now 15 hens are still working on the remains of a 50lb bag. (no treats or free ranging since Oct 16th)

I introduced some 4-6 week old chicks the week of Oct 9th that I had gotten at a TSC swap.
    Everyone looked and acted fine and to this day the chicks still look fine and are not sick.
    I'm not sure if they passed on something to some of the flock or not.
    from the time I introduced the chicks egg production went from:

Avg. 6.7 eggs/day from oct 1-9
    Avg. 5.6 eggs/day from oct 10-17
    Avg. 2 eggs/day from oct 18-21
    zero eggs/day from oct 22 to now

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure if 1 or more of my chickens are sick because they got something from the chicks I introduced or if they are sick due to weather or being run down from not eating as much as they used to due to the switch from crumbles to pellets.

I have at least 1 sick hen. what do you think she has and how do I treat it?
    do you think I should treat the whole flock for anything?
    any ideas why I am getting zero eggs?

Please help

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would treat for cocci. If they don't perk up after that you may want to go with the assumption that the new birds brought in an infection.

3. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    What do I get to treat cocci? They were raised on medicated feed. doesn't that prevent cocci?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Only as long as they are on the feed. Usually by the time they are 1 .yo. they have built up an immunity to cocci, but at times cocci in the soil reaches levels high enough to hurt birds that have built up that immunity. Their systems get overloaded.

You can get Corid or Sulmet at any feed store. Corid has no egg withdrawal, so I would try to get that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by