1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fluffed up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmie325, May 13, 2016.

1. emmie325

emmie325 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Cand anyone tell me what is wrong with my chick she is about 5 to 6 weeks old has runny nose and leaking from one eye[​IMG]any help will be appropriated thank you

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I know being puffed up is a sign of cocci. Not sure about the other symptoms.

3. emmie325

Apr 26, 2016
    What are the other symptoms of coccidiosis

4. EggSighted4Life

Bloody stool, but not always. And listlessness. Maybe reduced feeding and drinking. Are you using medicated starter? Do you have other chicks? Are you keeping it warm enough? Have you had the chick all along and what kind of brooder are you using?

5. EggSighted4Life

I took a sample to my vet, it was $25 and confirmed cocci. I had no symptoms except 3 bloody poos in as many days out of 10 chicks. I pay attention too closely sometimes. But better safe than sorry.

6. emmie325

Apr 26, 2016
    I haven't found any bloody stools or watery stools I mix sulmet in the water

7. EggSighted4Life

I have heard of Sulmet but am unfamiliar with it. Is she still eating and drinking? Not all cocci presents as bloody poos. There are 9 different strains I think. Not saying that's what it is, just sharing what little info I do have.

I wish I could be more help. At least posting will bump it back on the board for someone else to see and try to help, I hope.

Good luck!

8. emmie325

Apr 26, 2016
    Thank you she is still eating and drinking

9. emmie325

Apr 26, 2016
    My husbands uncle said to give her la 200 and she is looking really good after gave her la 200

10. emmie325

Apr 26, 2016
    She is doing really good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by