Fluffiest Puffiest Baby Needs Help! (Mumble died this evening...)

Miyashi

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Gaylord, MI
Ok...
This baby was hatched under his Momma (Silkie)
This baby is an Ameracauna Silkie X.
He was 2/3rds the way out and Yeta (Momma) had stopped laying on him. He was frozen! So...my boyfriend picked the rest of the shell off carefully and placed the baby under Mom with the other chicks.
She sat for awhile, but when the more lively chicks who had been hatched for 10 hours+ started moving around, she moved too, leaving poor Mumble.
Now Mumble is in the house under a heat lamp in a nice cozy box with towels and the like.
I've made him a sort of cave out of washcloths. He seems to enjoy being under something...guessing it's the whole Momma thing...
His legs are spraddled...either that or he's just weak in general. I'm not sure. Flops around a bunch now and then and winds up on his back...
He's two days old right now.
He doesn't eat or drink on his own, he needs help. When he drinks, he spits most of it back up.
His breathing is regular but it's strange to listen to. I held him up to my ear to hear every bit possible...
It sounds like gargled or slapping water followed a second later by a pop. This happens most often, but sometimes, depending on how his neck is positioned, the pop does not occur.
He likes to curl up in the "I'm an egg" position. Loves tucking his head in.
I'm wondering though...if something is really wrong with this bird...what with the breathing and not eating on it's own and spitting things up...
He's pooped a few times, so I know he's getting something.
The first poo was neon green...I have no idea why.
He pooed awhile ago and it was yellow...like the egg yolk he has been "eating"
He does this thing when he's coherent...it's like he gets super geeked out and starts wiggling and then he pecks at anything he can. Usually just the air...it's like he's trying to eat but he can't aim for food and he has no idea it's not even in front of him...is this a seizure or something?
He seems to be sleeping most of the time. He peeps now and then. I didn't want to start working on his legs until he came around a bit. He's just soooo sleepy....he opens his eyes from time to time and that face! Guh! So cute.
I don't know what to do for the little guy. I've just been loving, keeping him hydrated and trying to feed him...keeping him warm of course too and making sure he doesn't flip over.
sad.png

I really want to help...
If there is anything I can do...
I've tried egg whites, egg yolks, water, sugar water, starter feed, super crushed up starter feed...
Any suggestions would be fantastic. If more information is needed, please ask!

Last edited:
sad.png

That's what we were thinking a few minutes ago...seems like maybe it's got like...please don't get mad at me...chicken downs or something.
I tried the bandage on the legs to help him move around...scooted around faster...but he uses his legs like flippers now. Straight out behind him and kicking (If and when he does feel lively enough to move around...which usually results in a flipped chick)
I really want to help him...it's bummer dookies...it really is.

I checked the bandage again and realized I messed up. I didn't cut it in half...so we did it again and this seems to be much better....if the poor thing could just figure out how to eat and drink on it's own.
I don't know what to do.
I've gone through this three times in a year and it doesn't get any easier. The first two I rescued from farm stores...this one came out from under one of my own hens...so it seems even more tragic.
It's so darn cute too...

You know...it sounds like you've done all the "right" things. It may be time to just let nature take it's course and see what happens. I'm pullin for the little thing!

In my last hatch I had one very weak chick I had to help out of its shell. She didn't eat or drink for several days, and was very weak. I finally decided I couldn't just watch her die slowly. So I force-fed her. I took chick food, ground it up in a coffee grinder so it was just powder, mixed it with warm water, and syringe-fed her. This went on several days before she slowly began to peck her food and eat and drink. She remained very delayed and much smaller than her hatch-mates. Now, at 6 weeks, she is feisty and living with her siblings. Sometimes they just need extra help. (And, sadly, sometimes even all that help isn't enough.)

Last edited:
Yeah...probably best. I did notice the last time I checked on him before bed, he wasn't making that choppy water sound anymore and the click, pop noise was gone too. Might come back...but it's nice that it's gone for now.
My Mom is wondering if my hen had too many eggs under her for all of them to develop properly. The chicks body seems perfect, I can't see inside obviously...just kinda seems like something is wrong with it's wee mind.....
Earlier it was doing it's random biting at everything and just sat for a minute chewing on the skin at the base of my thumb. I try to intercept it every time and get some food down at the areas it's randomly pecking at. Sometimes I get lucky and it eats, other times it misses and other times it gets it and spits it out. Most of the time with the water, it dips it's whole beak in and shakes it's head around splashing everywhere....so then we need to dry off...because I don't want him to get cold. I've been feeding him egg yolks/whites out of a syringe. Sugar water is still happening, but I give him normal water in between...I worry about him being dehydrated.
tongue.png

I worry a lot, about everything!
I'm assuming it's a he, just because it looks like one and is needy like a typical boy...which is fine....I'm just guessing these are the reasons I'm assuming. I've been calling him Mumble because he reminds me of the penguin in Happy Feet.
Thanks for the help guys! <3
I hope he pulls through.
I'll post updates for anyone who is interested...and for myself. Need some place to talk about it.

Quote:
I love a happy story!
I will try this!
I've just feeding the egg yolk and water with the syringe...I will try your method!
I'm willing to go the extra mile, but a little hope from someone is always helpful...and I think I need it.
I may be crazy, but I think this chick recognizes me. If I put my hand in the box, he scoots along the floor to get to it. He looks at me a lot when I'm holding him too....
I want to do right and I don't want to fail!
Thank you for your lovely story!
I hope ours goes just as well. <3
hugs.gif

You're a great chicken momma to Mumble. I think you're doing all you can and I'm rooting for the little guy! Please keep us updated - and I'd love to see a pic of the little guy!!

Well...
Sad news.
I came home from work at 10:30 and the heat lamp was off and the box was empty. I was being hopeful thinking Mom moved him....
But I can't find Mumble anywhere...
I guess he didn't make it. I won't know for sure until morning as everyone is in bed.
sad.png

That's just my best guess.
Poor Mumble...

Back
Top Bottom