Sooooo beautiful!! Now those are some pretty chickens... Bob😉😆
This one is the prettiest
20210410_185312.jpg

I beat the sun this morning but never thought of how difficult it is to get a roosting chook out of a prefab coop (they really aren’t designed well ☹️)
Got Belle out and got her weight then did the same with Snow because, why not 🙃 I weighed myself with the towel, then me and each chook with the towel, then worked out their weights off that.
They won’t trust me for a bit I’m sure and the ruckus Snow made will have the neighbours questioning what I’m doing 🙄
Belle came in at 1.5kg and my big girl Snow is 2.4kg (😳)
Both crops felt empty, Belle’s roosting poop was firm but I could see longish grass sticking up. That could be the issue, eating the long whipper snippered grass off the lawn?
Getting her dose of worker ready based on the weight of her, trying it in some rice bubbles with some of my homemade sugar syrup.
Wish me luck, I’m hoping it was just her clearing that grass though.
You've got this. You don't need luck. If you take them off the roost regularly, they get used to it and don't fuss so much.

So sweet 🥰
You think she has remorse for never being a mumma?
I don't know. I'm told Marans tend to be broody later in life. I tell people she is a career hen, more interested in bossing the others about than being a mum. :D
She''s had a sit most days recently. If I believed she knows she has missed out in some way I would feel sad for her. Fact is, she's had a fantastic life by any any creatures standards.

Finally! Grass has started growing and I rigged up a little area the Princesses could hang out in and destroy the new grass.
It isn’t yet very big and it doesn’t have shrubs to hide under, but they had fun and it allowed me to test out the temporary fencing I am planning on using when I plant the chicken garden. It seemed to work fine and I will do an outer electric one to keep the foxes away.
View attachment 2621613View attachment 2621614View attachment 2621615View attachment 2621616View attachment 2621617
Happy exploring going on there

Back
Top Bottom