Finally this afternoon the weather let up! My poor babies yesterday didn't leave the run and mostly perched under or in the coop bc of the horrible wet snow. This meant they didn't spend any time foraging and not a lot of time at their feeder.
So being the overprotective chicken lady I am, i gave them hot oatmeal in the morning to spur their appetite. Later in the day,, I hand fed them peanut butter on bread.
They were not displeased about this treat.
Today they were very happy to exit the coop and run! They ate their feed like crazy and then foraged a bunch.
By 3pm their crops were as full as they usually are at bedtime.

We are so soft here...already talking of a bigger coop so in bad weather they have more leg/wing room. 😂 they'll probably have a cable package and individual computer stations with high speed internet by summer 2022.

I don't know. I'm told Marans tend to be broody later in life. I tell people she is a career hen, more interested in bossing the others about than being a mum. :D
She''s had a sit most days recently. If I believed she knows she has missed out in some way I would feel sad for her. Fact is, she's had a fantastic life by any any creatures standards.
Love this last sentence especially!

Finally this afternoon the weather let up! My poor babies yesterday didn't leave the run and mostly perched under or in the coop bc of the horrible wet snow. This meant they didn't spend any time foraging and not a lot of time at their feeder.
So being the overprotective chicken lady I am, i gave them hot oatmeal in the morning to spur their appetite. Later in the day,, I hand fed them peanut butter on bread.
They were not displeased about this treat.
Today they were very happy to exit the coop and run! They ate their feed like crazy and then foraged a bunch.
By 3pm their crops were as full as they usually are at bedtime.

We are so soft here...already talking of a bigger coop so in bad weather they have more leg/wing room. 😂 they'll probably have a cable package and individual computer stations with high speed internet by summer 2022.
And so they all should. :)

I am not rich but doing all I can to make my baby girls as happy as possible. I've saved their first small coop and run for them to use as a play and scratch area. They have their own garden as well as a couple of dirt areas a nice little hideaway and taking advice on the kind of sand they need from someone in here, so they will have that as well. They are getting harder to get in at night because they are really enjoying their little world.

Bob - and @Shadrach too - do you think the positional differences - she breathed with no sound when her neck was down or out front - was a clue that it was something lodged in her and not a respiratory infection (besides that if it was respiratory there might be other clues as well?)
I don't know. It's just I would expect other symptoms if she had an illness.

Back
Top Bottom