It is nice. They are in FL and I'm in PA but it gives us something to chat about. His youngest boy wanted them. He got a taste of chickens one time when he was here. I had Daisy, the greatest hen ever, Patsy, and Lilly at the time. Patsy was not one that like to be pet but she let my nephew pet her while eating meal worms from his hand. It was so sweet and he was hooked.

My brother relented when they proposed hatching and raising as a part of their home schooling. My sister in law loves them.

The instigator
View attachment 2666689
Wonderful! I have a sister in FL. 😊

I had the same thing happen with Hattie and Aurora. I don't know who started it but Hattie ended it by hurting Aurora.

I was shocked but these things will happenin a tribe. Aurora has been well behaved, for her, since then.

Here is how viscous the fight was.
Although I couldn't watch your video again I have one to contribute on the 'bad mood' topic.
This was hard to see - but also very surprising. Apologies it is a bit long.
In it we see Elizabeth who I believe is top hen and who never enforces her position take on first Minnie who is bottom hen and sweetness itself, and then later Diana who is prone to pecking (at least me).
Note that Maggie who usually picks on the roadrunners is entirely uninvolved and note also how the road runners crowd around the second fight cheering them on.
I can't imagine what went on to put Elizabeth in such a fighting mood.

Oh my god. A fox just killed Cinnabar and Creamsicle. My poor babies. They were in the playpen. I... I promise I'll be good to the others.
I am soo sorry about you loss. That is the one downfall about having chickens. Everything loves chicken. I have lost a few little ones the past few years to predators but thankfully never a grown one. But I know my time for that is coming. I'm actually surprised I've not lost more then I have where mine free range during the day. It is hawk city here, plus I'm surrounded by 3 different coyote packs and the Possums, raccoons plus I know there are foxes around as well. They are smart and have learned where safe area's are, but even then accidents can happen. Butters injury is a prime example of this. They know the horse stalls are sheltered and that they can let their guard down and the horses do not harass them. Yet while playing with a jolly ball dirt accidently kicked Butter. I know he didn't mean to, but that first week, especially when I thought I'd loose her I admit I had feelings of anger towards him and the golden child was called a few not nice names. He's banned from having that ball in his stall again. He only got it to begin with because he'd thrown a back shoe and it took a week to get it replaced where our farrier was out of town and he'd went from being ridden 10 miles a day to nothing except 2 hours of hand grazing a evening. He was going stir crazy in his stall.

One of these day's I'll get some good pictures of dad on Dirt. While Russ and Louis are total hams for the camera, Dirt is the opposite. He'll be moving so good and when he goes by and see's me with it he does something stupid every time, or breaks his gait if I'm trying to video.
DSCN3988.JPG
DSCN3987.JPG

I'm so sorry. That's just awful. I can't imagine how much it hurt. :hugs :hugs

How did the fox get to them? Can you improve security somehow?
It was pure hubris. They were right in sight of the sliding glass door. We turned away for a few minutes and sudden fox. We felt so guilty. I don't even hate the fox. It just wanted to feed it's children. No more playpen. No more unsupervised outside time.

Yesterday was not the best of days. I was rear-ended. I'm pretty much ok, stiff, sore, and brushed today. I am waiting on CT scan for my neck as a precaution because of the cyst I have on my spinal cord.

View attachment 2666785

I was only 5 miles from my house so the police let me drive it home to save a tow bill.

The police were there because what initiated the crash was a postal worker delivering mail. She went to pull away from the mailbox and did not see the guy in front of me. He could not go around her because of the oncoming traffic.

I saw all this and stopped safely behind the guy in front of me. Suddenly I feel the impact and hear glass shatter as I'm pushed into the guy in front.

The kicker to all this is postal worker refused to give her information and left the scene. While she was not hit, she was at the very least a witness and needed to stay or give her info.

After the police finished with the 3 of us they were heading to the post office to find her and talk to her.

The guy in front of me only had a small scuff mark of his trunk where I was pushed I to him. I was the cream filling in a car sandwich.
Oh no! I am so sorry. That is scary and painful and just awful. Hope CT scan is all clear and the insurance navigation isn't too complicated. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom