One of these day's I'll get some good pictures of dad on Dirt. While Russ and Louis are total hams for the camera, Dirt is the opposite. He'll be moving so good and when he goes by and see's me with it he does something stupid every time, or breaks his gait if I'm trying to video.
View attachment 2666839View attachment 2666841
I’m so jealous of your horses!!! 😭

No... that is their yard... the coop/run stays completely dry... except for maybe a little puddling around the edges... but only in spots... I tell you.. I picked the most perfect spot on my property to build the coop!

Notice the babies chilling in the corner... 💕View attachment 2666998View attachment 2666999
So glad they have a nice dry place, and I like your set up for them a lot.
I see you hang some food containers and have others up on blocks. I am playing around with that at the moment - which works best for you?
I was doing blocks but someone (I am looking at you Diana) seems to have developed a habit of knocking them off the blocks so now I am wondering about hanging - I am a bit worried the container will get a big swing to it and knock someone silly by hitting them on the head.
Trust me, my Princesses are silly enough without being hit in the head by a swinging feeder. :lau
Any advice?

So glad they have a nice dry place, and I like your set up for them a lot.
I see you hang some food containers and have others up on blocks. I am playing around with that at the moment - which works best for you?
I was doing blocks but someone (I am looking at you Diana) seems to have developed a habit of knocking them off the blocks so now I am wondering about hanging - I am a bit worried the container will get a big swing to it and knock someone silly by hitting them on the head.
Trust me, my Princesses are silly enough without being hit in the head by a swinging feeder. :lau
Any advice?
Thank you!
The smaller one hangs.. I don’t think it ever went swinging 😄... and the bigger ones have string tied but I set them on blocks as I thought they would be too heavy to hang... but the string helps with keeping them from perching on top... and as you can see.. on the big feeder I have placed a small lightweight board on top to also deter them from hopping on the edge or going in.... a friend of mine lost a rooster that way... he went in head first and couldn’t get out!
And, is the container she knocks over made of plastic? I have one that is plastic but usually has plenty of water in it to be knocked over.. I also have string on that one... the metal containers are pretty heavy and I usually keep them filled so I guess that helps with knocking them over🤷🏼‍♀️

Thank you!
The smaller one hangs.. I don’t think it ever went swinging 😄... and the bigger ones have string tied but I set them on blocks as I thought they would be too heavy to hang... but the string helps with keeping them from perching on top... and as you can see.. on the big feeder I have placed a small lightweight board on top to also deter them from hopping on the edge or going in.... a friend of mine lost a rooster that way... he went in head first and couldn’t get out!
And, is the container she knocks over made of plastic? I have one that is plastic but usually has plenty of water in it to be knocked over.. I also have string on that one... the metal containers are pretty heavy and I usually keep them filled so I guess that helps with knocking them over🤷🏼‍♀️
Thanks. The knock it over issue is I think a protest statement when I let the food get too low. The containers are metal but when the level of food starts to get low (I never let it get empty) she worries away at it and jumps up off it until it falls over.
I think I will play around with strings and see how it goes.

Thanks. The knock it over issue is I think a protest statement when I let the food get too low. The containers are metal but when the level of food starts to get low (I never let it get empty) she worries away at it and jumps up off it until it falls over.
I think I will play around with strings and see how it goes.
Yea, sometimes mine will get low too.. but never knocked over... you might have a naughty girl😄... plus... the small board is wobbly.. if any attempt to jump up there it will flip flop and that scares them... I have found it down maybe once or twice... but I think they learn quick that it’s scary and stay off!

Yea, sometimes mine will get low too.. but never knocked over... you might have a naughty girl😄... plus... the small board is wobbly.. if any attempt to jump up there it will flip flop and that scares them... I have found it down maybe once or twice... but I think they learn quick that it’s scary and stay off!
I definitely have a naughty girl - she is the one that locked her beak around my fingers because I wasn't dolling out blueberries fast enough and she hung there from my hand. It hurt!

Wow! That is worse than what I witnessed between my girls. How long ago was that? Is/was Aurora okay?

And why do the other chickens gather around to be a live audience? (Mine did too!) What is this, middle school?? Are they chanting "Fight! Fight!" 😵
That was last fall. Aurora was fine after about a week. Lilly is my Alpha hen and she had broken up the fight twice before but the other two would not stop until one was hurt.

If you watch mine, Sydney was in the run far away. Phyllis got caught up in the fight as it moved from the tree to the coop. Sansa is always around Lilly and I think she might have been looking to get shots in on Aurora as well if the opportunity presented itself.

Back
Top Bottom