1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fluffy chicken who will not leave the coop "HELP"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindat01, Dec 2, 2011.

1. lindat01

lindat01 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    Hello,
    Im new at this and my chickens are not yet one year old and I have one chicken who is fluffed up and will not leave her nesting box any ideas.. I have not idea what is wrong???

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Sounds like she is broody and wants to be a Momma! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yep, she is broody [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not my image [​IMG]

4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hello and welcome to BYC where you can get all your chicken problems answered,
    as for the puffed up chicken, I would say she might be broody. If she pecks and/or growls at you while you try to pick her up then she is broody. However if she seems sick or latargic sperate her from the other and let us know of any other syptoms.
    edited for typos

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. lindat01

Dec 2, 2011
    should I leave her eggs with her??? I normally just take them out from under her and now she is fluffy?? Im new at this so I could use some help.. someone said she might be cold.. it got into the teens last night and I did put on the heat light for them. I have 12 chickens and 2 rooster... she is the only one acting this way//

6. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Well unless you want chicks running around then I would take the eggs from her and try to brake her broodiness.
    -Good luck!

7. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    [​IMG]

8. lindat01

Dec 2, 2011
    thank you all for the welcome~~~

9. karenkensek

karenkensek Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Hey Linda, i didnt even think of the whole broodiness thing, ive never had a broody chicken. what breed is she?

10. yep broody if you dont want lots of little chicks runig around then tacke the eggs out from under her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by