Fluffy feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by X2Farm, Sep 8, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    (If this is in the wrong place, Mods please move it)

So I noticed lately my Splash Polish pullet has been very wary and doin her own thang. She has a VERY poofy top hat, but at last check, she could still see... Well, while visiting with my flock tonight, I picked her up and to my suprise, unless I held her straight up at arms length, I couldn't see her eyes [​IMG] So I gave her a good checking over, she didn't seem to have lost weight in the last week, though her crop was empty. I felt awful [​IMG] Brought her in and clipped her feathers some. Think I'll do some more in the next few days, since she was getting a bit irritated by the time I finished what I got clipped. But, at least now she can see!!! [​IMG]

Did any of yall with fluffy chickens have any indicators, like temperment change, that it was time for a haircut? Or did yalls birds somehow manage to get around fine with the poofiness? [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well no wonder, she couldn't find the food. Poor girl. The last shot she still looks peeved, but I bet she can find food now!

3. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:I know it!!!

She gave me the stink eye till I brought her back to the coop [​IMG] But, her attitude had changed dramatically. She was running all over, first food, then water, then made circles around the coop [​IMG] She's still fairly docile, but, obviously happier [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Poor thing! Great before and after pictures!
    She could've just ASKED for a haircut if she needed one. Sheesh. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by