Fluid Build Up on the chest of Feathered Footed Fancy's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Jul 15, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I purchased 5 Light Brahma's about 2 months ago. "chicks" Two of them have fluid built up on their chest. What is this? I haven't been able to find any info of this condition. They act fine, eat fine, play fine, they are fine except for this big fluid build up. The fluid is clear, I can see their breast meat. I have asked several chicken farmer's in our area and they haven't ever seen anything like this. Does anyone have a clue? The only things they have been fed is chick and turkey starter. I am just now introducing them to cracked corn.[​IMG]:he

2. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    are you sure it's not thier crops?

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    no it is not their crops. This is like a massive clear water blister on one side if their chest. Every one is clueless. I feel like pulling out one of their feathers to see if it will drain the fluid. But I am not going to. I wouldn't want my feathers plucked.[​IMG]

4. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    I'm a curious gal and would suck it out with a needle....but I'm not always the smartest gal either [​IMG] Got any pics?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are they using roosts regularly? If it's not their crops, the only other think I can think of that it might possibly be is what I guess you would call roosting blisters (a BYC elder might know a proper name for it).
    P.S. I'm one of those people that believes cracked corn is best left as a winter treat. It creates heat in their digestive tract during the process of digestion. Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Sounds like breast Blisters, Are the blisters running along top of or off to the side of the breastbone?...Mycoplasma Synoviae will cause breast blisters, so will Ammonia burns from birds sleeping on damp shavings...

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I wouldn't think that would be it either Damp Quarters! My husband built our chicken coops off of the ground. They are cleaned out every 3 days. I put fresh straw in them and it is a very dry environment. I am still feeding them chick starter and just now introducing them to cracked corn. I thought about draining it, too. But the thought of infection stopped me. And like I said they act normal. I can't take a pic of the blister. The feather's cover it over. They look like they have alot of breast meat!! Oh well, I guess as long as they act fine, I shouldn't worry. I let them out of the coop yesterday for the first time. They loved it. Thanks for all the input.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by