1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fluid-filled blister on hatchling's neck

Discussion in 'Quail' started by itszen4me, Oct 27, 2013.

1. itszen4me

itszen4me New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

I have 7 coturnix that are a week old tomorrow. Tonight I noticed that this one has a dime-sized clear blister on his/her neck. It's hard to see in this pic but you et the idea. It's soft and filled with a watery white liquid. What exactly is this?

Thanks!

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I honestly have no idea what that is. I did a quick search and there have been mixed advice.

Someone on these forums had a similar problem with a blister on the back of a chick's head, except that it was filled with air or possible fluid.They used a sterile needle and poked it and let it deflate, and it eventually went away after a few days.

Another user also had the same problem. They just left it there and it went away on its own eventually.
    Posts can be found below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/321973/new-problem-w-rir-chick-air-bubble-on-neck-near-wing
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/282716/just-hatched-chick-with-big-bubble-on-neck

Good luck!
    I would guess its up to you as how you'd like to fix it. IMHO, I would just leave it if it isn't affecting the chick, and if it doesn't go away in say a few days to a week, then maybe try popping it if you must.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  3. itszen4me

itszen4me New Egg

Jul 17, 2013
    Yeah, I saw those threads but they were older and didn't really help much.

As the chick is acting fine I'm going to let it alone. I have to see the vet for my dog soon so if it's still an issue I'll talk to her about it.

I guess I'm really surprised that it's not a common thing.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by