Fluid from back to front

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valerie, Apr 20, 2008.

1. valerie

valerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I have a white leghorn hen that has ALOT of 'fluid' on her 'bottom' clear up to her chest! I've soaked her in warm water..nothing. She's drinking and eating some. Comb is bright red. She's soo heavy she has a hard time walking. Once again, I'm begging for advice. You all saved my BR chick last week [​IMG] THANKS SOO MUCH!
    Valerie

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    She might be laying internally or be retaining fluid in her tissues.
    I don't think there is much you can do except taking her to a vet.

3. valerie

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    How do I find a vet that takes care of chickens?

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I would just get the phone book and start calling every vet within driving distance. It can be tough. I don't have one here at all, that I can find. Good luck.

5. valerie

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    There's nothing I can do to help her now? Sounds like this is pretty much a begining to the end for her?

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I honestly have no clue. Is it something that can be seen in a pic if you posted one of her? Maybe that would help someone tell you what is going on and what you might be able to do?

7. valerie

Dec 9, 2007
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I'll post a picture this afternoon

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Val-you can try 15o mg. Of CO-Q-1O. 1 capsule punctured and put into 1 to 3 svgs of food. I've had to do this twice with Chook and had very good result. Know that CO-Q-1O is very pricey: 15 to 4O bucks, depending on cap dose. . .It is a nutritional supplement for heart disease, found at pharmacies and health fd. Stores. I would also put her on electrolytes. Both times w/ Chook I believe it was due to an extreme stressor.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  9. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    Why the Q10? I take it too. I didn't know it would be good for chickens!

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Fluid accumulation/edema is a symtom of cardio weakness--- It just "made sense" to me to try the CO-Q-1O. It's NOT a "approved" chicken product, natch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by