Fluid in breast area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dizzydoo2000, Oct 31, 2013.

1. dizzydoo2000

dizzydoo2000 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Hello All,
    I'm a new chicken mommy and we have 4 healthy 9 week old chickens and 1 9 week Buff Orpington who is still eating, drinking, and running around happily but seems sick. Her chest/ Breast area seems to be filling with fluid. I pick all my girls up every day and look them head to toe and love on them but she began looking more plump 2 days ago and its slowly progressing. It isn't her crop, I know what her crop feels like and that still fills and empty's like her sisters do. I have read threads about ascitis in chickens but they only mention this happening at the egg laying stage and we are 4 months shy of that. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to drain her myself if this is required. Thank you all.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could it possibly be air collecting in the chest wall instead of fluid? There is a condition called subcutaneous emphysema that is usually a result of a leaking air sac from an injury to the chest or neck. The air will sometimes be absorbed by the body, or sometimes you can withdraw the air with a large syringe and 18 gauge needle. Here is s link to read: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/223/subcutaneous-emphysema and read post # 7 in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I hope it isn't Mycoplasma.

Also, it could be what Egg mentioned. What I'm about to mention is less likely with a 9 week old bird, unless there was an injury of sorts. In heavier, mature chickens they can get an infection around the breast bone. The keel, or breast bone of a chicken naturally has fluid in it. The fluid is to protect the breast bone while the chicken is in a roosting position. Sometimes the fluid can become infected and swell or cause a visible sore.

Penicillin will take care of the infection @ 1/2 cc injection at the site of the wound, if one exists. Do it once a day for 4 days. Here's some helpful info about Pen injections: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

The other antibiotic effective in this case is Tetracycline powder in the water at 1 tsp per gallon for 10 days. You can also wrap rags securely around the roost to prevent deep keeled chickens prone to this problem.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. dizzydoo2000

dizzydoo2000 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Thank you for all the ideas. Just got done trick or treating with my little one so Henny will be first on my list in the morning. She was still the same this afternoon. I will do some research, try some things out and let you know how she does. I am grateful for all your knowledge.

6. dizzydoo2000

dizzydoo2000 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    I just released a lot of air from Henny's breasts and neck area with an 18G hypodermic needle. She is on tetracycline powder for 5 to 7 days just in case there was an injury that I could not find. I will check my little chicken balloon everyday and give her e squeeze if she needs it. Thank you again and I'm hoping for the best.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Thanks for the update and we are glad that she is doing okay. Chickens at that age tend to jump and play, then get hurt injuring air sacs. I've never seen it yet thank goodness, but I'm glad you took care of her.

8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Glad to hear the news. I hope she recovers soon. Good job.

9. dizzydoo2000

dizzydoo2000 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Well I spoke to soon last night i found more air/ gas under her left wing. The area was hot to the touch I'm thinking this is where the injury is. I released the pocket of air and she is still in good spirits. She is living inside for a while until her wing heals. I'm having a lot of difficulties with her drinking enough of the medicated water (tetracycline powder). Does anyone have any suggestions about administering this a different way, perhaps in some food? I read a previous thread where someone had the same problem but the responses were not helpful and in fact the question was somewhat avoided. I know dairy is off limits but what about mixing the suggested tetracycline powder amount into a banana or coconut milk? Need some help she is definitely fighting some bacteria.
    Thank you

10. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If you don't want to use injectibles like Biomycin or LA-200 (both tetracyclines) you could always use capsules. If the bird isn't drinking on its own, you should mix up some vitamin-electrolyte powder in some water, and syringe feed the bird small amounts at a time to avoid aspiration. The capsules can be found here: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-a...n=topnav&ic_name=medicationsantibioticstopnav
    Cephalexin, Amoxicillin are two antibiotics that are superior to tetracycline. 250 mg 2x a day for 5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by