Fluid in lungs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CuddleBug820, Mar 26, 2017.

1. CuddleBug820

CuddleBug820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2015
    I have had a sick chicken for a week now. Her crop was all swollen and she got diarrhea really bad. I took her to the vet and she got antifungal meds and antibiotics. She is more alert but still won't eat and has bad diarrhea. I gave her the antifungal medicine a couple hours ago and I think some got into her lungs. She is all raspy sounding. I tried holding her upside down to clear it but no luck. I don't wanna lose my girl.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. If she did get some down her airway, there isn't much you can do now. But when giving fluids or medicine, just put a drop or two in her mouth at a time. Hopefully she will cough and clear her airway, and get over this. The vet should know how to flush her crop out with water-- did they do that? Hopefully, the antifungals will help. Sour crop is very complicated and hard to treat. I have only dealt with crop problems recently, and my hens both died. Sometimes the gizzard can become blocked, and other times the crop doesn't function due to an illness. Two Crows has a good thread about "how to deal with impacted or sour crops," if you do a search at the top of the page.

3. CuddleBug820

CuddleBug820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2015
    It was a very rough night but she is doing better with her breathing. I thought for a little while she wasn't going to make it but she pulled through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by