Fluid leaking out of Crop!!HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Forgotten Orchard, May 26, 2010.

1. Forgotten Orchard

Forgotten Orchard Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Magna, Utah
    On Monday night we made the decisions to do crop surgery on our sweet 9 month Brahma, we pulled out over 2 cups of grass. Everything seem to be going well, we sutured the crop and super glued the skin then put on 2 butterfly band-aids(we had an RN help us). Today while I took the kids to schools she pulled the band-aids off and ate them, and also pecked at the wound opening the skin up. I can see the crop and she is now leaking fluid from the crop. She is still eating and pooping great. She still has a bright red comb and her tail is standing strait up she laid and egg last night. She has plenty of energy and is still full of life. Oh one last thing it look the the skin below the crop incision has some fuild below it. What should we do? We are at a complete loss and don't want her to suffer! The incision to the crop was only 1/2 in and the skin incision was about 1 in.

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The one and only time I did surgery on a prolapsed uterus, I soaked a needle and thread in alcohol and sewed her up. If she won't keep the bandaids on, sewing might work.

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you ever seen those cone-shaped collars they put on dogs and cats to keep them from chewing at their wounds? Maybe try making one for your chicken out of an index card and scotch tape? If you make it short enough for her beak to stick out, you won't have to remove it for her to eat and drink, but it may prevent her from bending her neck enough to get to her incision.

4. Forgotten Orchard

Forgotten Orchard Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Magna, Utah
    We tried a cone she can get her head down around it. I think a baby bib might me the answer we will see how tonight goes. Should I worry about the fluid coming from the crop?

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure what to say about he fluid. I know that there's some enzyme action goes on in the crop - sort of a first stage of digestion. The fluid could be serum draining from the wound or it might be some sort of saliva-like substance from inside the crop. I just don't have the knowledge to make an educated guess which it might be. How about a cardboard tube? If you could find something like those tubes that posters come in...something big enough to slip over her head...you could cut it down to fit the length of her neck like a cervical collar. IDK, kinda grasping at straws here and throwing out ideas. Do you think it would work if you could put her in the dark and just brought her out regularly to eat and drink? I don't think chickens preen themselves in the dark. Boy! You have a real challenge on your hands. Be sure to let us all know how it works out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by