Fluid sac/bald spot on 3 day old chick?

PattyC2020

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
Central VA
Does anyone know what is wrong with this 3-day old chick? All of a sudden she has this bald spot on her right shoulder above the wing. But it looks stretched thin, almost like it’s a swollen sac of fluid. It doesn’t seem painful and she’s acting normal but we’re concerned. Any thoughts/advice?
Background: hatched Monday and arrived via USPS yesterday (Wednesday). She has seemed to do well. No pasty butt like some others in this order. Water w/ electrolytes and probiotics. Chick starter soaked for optimal digestion. Had free choice dry ground oatmeal & scrambled egg this afternoon to help those w/ pasty butt.

Attachments

• 5FED0AFA-ECEC-419F-9028-2EAB7003F98C.jpeg
    5FED0AFA-ECEC-419F-9028-2EAB7003F98C.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 32
  • D741ACEA-95D3-402A-87CD-58A79B297E4D.jpeg
    D741ACEA-95D3-402A-87CD-58A79B297E4D.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 21
Looks like the crop.
See if it empties overnight.

How warm are you keeping your brooder - on the warm side and on the cool side?
Thanks for your comment. I never thought of that. It was gone by morning so I guess that’s what it was. I’m guessing that maybe it shouldn’t be so distended though. Does this mean she needs more grit?
Yesterday the brooder was probably on the warm side as the wood stove was doing a good job and it was a mild day outside.

If the crop is emptying, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Chicks don't have that many feathers to hide a full crop.
Grit can just be sprinkled in the brooder, the chicks will pick up a piece or two when they need it. They don't have to eat it everyday.

It looks like the crop. Might be it was full of air... since she got rid of it herself it should be fine, but if it happens again you should GENTLY massage it to release the air :)

Back
Top Bottom