Fly and smell control

Discussion in 'Quail' started by underground chickenman, May 13, 2013.

1. I have more quail that I have ever had at one time and I can tell that flies and smell is going to be a challenge. I have read a few older posts about controlling both, but what do you do that works? Any new ideas? Preferably cheap and easy ones?

I've had chickens and they were easy because they scratched their wastes into the litter. I used the deep litter method and never had a problem. The quail are on wire, so it drops and sits unless I manually scratch it into the ground. Maybe that's the solution. Anything better out there?

Thanks,

UGCM

2. My suggestion is to rake up all the excrement. Let it dry then add LYE. Then put down shavings/hay/straw. I prefer shavings. Then rake up the shavings once a week and put on a compost pile. Or build a sand pit under their cages maybe.

Wet conditions greatly contribute to the smell. So keeping it dry is important. But that is only one part of the solution.
    I like to move my pens around for that very reason. It only takes a week or two for the ammonia smell to build up on dirt. Movable pens on top of grass has helped me out a bunch. The smell goes away much sooner on the grass for me.

I don't know what to recommend if you are not able to move your pens. Hopefully you'll get some answers from others that work.

Wishing you success.

3. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Songster

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    I don't have my quail yet, but I have a small farm with alpacas, chickens, rabbits and geese and I'll share what I do.

1. Diatomaceous earth (DE) gets sprinkled on the manure piles and in the chickens' bedding. This keeps flies, mites and stomach worms from reproducing. I get it at my local feed store.

2. For smelly piles I use Stall Dry. This stuff works great for odor. TSC stopped carrying it and told me sweet pdz works better but I strongly disagree. I get it at my local feed store.

3. When the flies get bad my alpacas get sprayed with Endure fly spray. It's very expensive, but it works incredibly well. I don't spray any of the other animals with it, but if the flies are really bad I spray the walls and doorways of the barn. You wouldn't believe how good that works. I wouldn't spray quail with it, but just spraying it in the area keeps the flies away. I get it at TSC.

And of course, the cleaner you keep it the less flies and odor you have.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Using sand in your runs or aviaries or underneath the pens helps with fly control as well as all the products and methods above. Sand is very drying and flies love wet conditions. Dry poop does not stink as much. You can use either commercial sand or even dig it out of river or wash beds. I use sand in my chicken runs, coops, nest boxes, all my quail aviaries and even in my parrot cages. Keeps the stink away, and is very sanitary.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. topgunbobby

topgunbobby In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Home of Quaildini
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]