Fly away drake

DreamchaserT

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2016
Maine
I just raised my first little group of ducks from hatchlings.
A male and female Gray Mallard and 2 Call ducks.
Finnegan my only male seemed happy with his three girls.
They just feathered out but showed no signs that they were ready to mate.
Fin doesn't even really quack loud yet.
I did trim their feathers a few times. A few days ago Fin flew up out of the play yard but then tried to get right back in with the girls. He seemed to only be able to get up about 3 ft in flight.
I was going to trim them all this week but today Fin is missing from the play yard.
I searched for hours no feathers and no sign of Fin.
So my question is would he leave his girls?
The river isn't far from.my house and there is a flock.of wild ducks there.
I just can't believe he would leave his mate they grew up together :(

He flew out last week so I think he flew out again.
I have chickens that were out also.
I didn't find a single feather anywhere so I'm hoping he flew to the river with the wild ducks.
:( Sad though.
Really odd thing is Felisha his mate didn't call him.
I even put her in a small cage away from the call ducks but she wouldn't quack. And usually she is very loud.

So sorry to hear but he may come back. I have muscovies in my neighborhood but I have a group that the mother left here that I have feed since babies. They never left my back yard and the pond area in my back yard. Once they got to about 9 months of age they started going further away from "home." I would be extremely worried when they would swim so far in the pond that they were no longer visibly. Around 9 months they also started not staying together. Before they did everything together. Now it has been approx. 11 months and some of them still live here but some only come to visit. It was not until last month that they all stopped sleeping here at night which was very sad for me. They all visit regularly and some visit everyday - for food of course, not to see me. I was worried one of them was injured as I did not see her for four to five days but I think she has a new boyfriend elsewhere. So even though your drake grew up with them, he is probably out exploring. By the way, almost all my hens are going out with their brother even though there are many other non-related drakes to choose from. The hens follow him around and he lets them eat all the treats even his.

Its really hard they were inside babies and I carried them around and babied them.
Finnegan being my only boy was so beautiful and a real shy boy.
I would feel better knowing he is happy out there.
My girls seem to be calling out more today I hope he hears them :)
Thanks for the encouraging stories .

Back
Top Bottom