Fly away Muscovey back home!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Mar 29, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I had a Muscovey pair that I raised last year. The hen saddly was caught by an owl. I waited awhile and got the drake two hens. The 2nd day the one just flew out of the barn and was GONE.. My neighbors said they spotted a duck down on the creek a couple of roads over, this and that. Well 7 weeks later, I go out and low and behold, she found her way home. She has been hanging here for 4 days now. We are WAY out in the country with acres and acres of THICK woods in this whole county. I think the is SO cool, after 7 wks!! My drake thinks hes something else with his 3 hens now!!

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Wow! That is great. I recently lost a Runner Duck. It has been 2 weeks exactly and I am always hoping she runs back home but I know with all the coyotes she may have became coyote food. It gives me hope though knowing yours returned after 7 weeks. My Scovies were hatched in my 'bator so they think I am their momma and have never gone further than our farm. (KNOCK REAL HARD ON WOOD) I'm so glad your Scovie came home [​IMG]

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Wait a moment, 1 hen was taken by an owl, so you got two more hens, right? 1 hen took a 7 week trial seperation before returning home and now your drake has 3 hens? He should be happy and proud he has one more hen than your story accounts for![​IMG]
    Serously Muscovy aren't as sociable as some ducks, but they don't like being alone either. Shall we say that the mating season is extended for them, 3 broods in one season are common and the urge to motherhood is very strong in these birds. Being alone in the woods is no fun when you know where there is a loving drake.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:The big difference is that Muscovy can fly and like to perch in trees. I don't think your runner could do either which makes her easier for varmits to catch. ~gd

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:The big difference is that Muscovy can fly and like to perch in trees. I don't think your runner could do either which makes her easier for varmits to catch. ~gd

I know but I can always hope. I let her out the day I brought her home. It was a huge mistake. I should have penned her up for awhile but I made the assumption she would stay with my other ducks. It's all my fault she became coyote food [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by