Fly Blown Chicken

thechickenkeeper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi there , I had to deal with the most horible infection of one of my hens, I had noticed she was a bit low, so I was checking her vent out for posible signs of trapped egg, when I see a writhing mass of maggots, I thought at first they were coming from the vent, however it was below the vent, some sort of cut that had got dirty, about 2cm long and 1cm wide, I must have removed 30 - 40 maggots, gave her a hot bath,cleaned the infected area, and applied some anticeptic cream, repeated the following day, she seems to be on the mend. Has any one else encountered this? I've heard of cattle getting fly blown but not chickens.

Yes, it happens all too often. When I give instructions for dealing with open wounds in the summertime I frequently include steps to prevent maggot infestation.

i recently had a 6 wk old kitten i thought got bit on neck by mother or ?? small wound..told friend about it...she told me something i would not have belived..except for seeing it myself...she said it was fly maggot..said to pour perioxide or rubbing alcohol over wound..sure enough seen white maggot come to opening..hubby pulled it out with tweesers...we both were sickened by it & huge size....didnt help any we ate chinese with rice about half hour before !!!..... she healed up nicely...but flys can do some wicket stuff.

soap&eggs, that sounds like a rabbit bot, a bot fly larvae that is common in the necks of wild rabbits, we also saw it alot in little kittens that stayed under my grandma's house. In louisiana, alot of the homes are high up on blocks. Also, this past summer, my friend called me over to look at a "hole" in her beagle's side, once again, it was a rabbit bot.

Back
Top Bottom