1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fly blown chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chunky duck, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Chunky duck

Chunky duck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Hi All,
    After reading past threads I realise my hen has been a victim of fly strike.
    She is one of my very first hens now about 6 years old. She had seemed to be struggling in the recent heat over the past week and I thought for sure she was on her way out due to age. I more than half expected her to be dead before the weekend was out. But by Monday she seemed to be happier, her tail was up her comb a nice red again and pecking around albeit lethargically. I had noticed her bum was a bit yucky but nothing to bad that I felt it did not need cleaning. Big fat black Australorpe feathers cover many evils it seems. This evening as my daughter was locking the hens up she noticed the maggots crawling around her backside and the alarm bells went off. Straight into the bath went Xena. Fortunately my bath tub is set up permanently to wash my dogs so a shower nozzle on a hose was there ready to wash her backside with warm water. At first I could not see anything expecting them to wash away easily but nothing was obvious. Finished washing and sent her out with said daughter for a towel dry before bed. Again I am called again to witness the maggots. The little buggers must have crawled into the hole as I started rinsing. Back to the bath we go for a more thorough inspection and detailed rinsing. Upon further investigation I discovered that what I was rinsing was not her vent looking suspect, it was a gaping hole below her vent. (Not sure whats worse, this or if it had have been her vent looking like this). I think after spending quite a bit of time literally hosing out the hole we may have got all the maggots but I will be soaking her in a warm water solution of lavender and Hydrogen peroxide tomorrow to be sure. She does not seem to be in any pain and seemed not at all fazed by the whole process. She is sleeping in my bathroom now and I will keep you up to date on her progress. Any hint or tips on the best way to deal with the wound would be appreciated. I have coated it with aloe with a drop of lavender oil for the evening.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Poor girl, hope she feels better. Here is a thread from last year on the same thing. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...autionary-tale-with-graphic-photo-progression Peroxide is good once or twice to help get the dirt and maggots out, you might consider flushing with really diluted betadine or clean water once or twice a day. Then maybe screw worm spray or something similar to keep flies off, TSC and most farm stores carry screw worm spray (usually for horses/cattle). I would also consider putting her on antibiotics.

3. Chunky duck

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks for that. I will do some more with her as soon as the morning warms up a bit. I am hoping the apple cidar vinegar and garlic in her water will help as an antibiotic. And I am keeping her inside to keep the flies and dirt etc away.

4. Chunky duck

Jan 18, 2013
    Just checked out that thread. There is hope for Xena yet. Lets hope she lives up to her name.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by