1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fly control?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Puget Sounder FC, May 17, 2009.

1. Puget Sounder FC

Puget Sounder FC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    any suggestions on how to deal with flies.

2. charlielynnsingletary

charlielynnsingletary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    pearl river,la
    i use fly trap bags. you find them anywhere wal-mart, lowes, home depot and even from catalogs. they are non toxic but sink.[​IMG] they work though.
    my coop is tall enough i just hang in there. flys gone.

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking flies are a good excuse to get some anoles from the pet store!!! and have a cage in the barn (away from the chickens of course) I love those little lizards.

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Fill a clear plastic zip lock bag with water. Hand them around the coop. I have no idea why or how this works...but it does!

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:We have wild anoles here. Can't say they've made a dent in the fly population though.

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

well hmm....
    darn.

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I use mothballs...Has worked great to keep unwated bugs away!

ETA: Mothballs are VERY toxic so be sure to make some kind of container like I have to place the mothballs in a put small holes that nothing can get to them but will let out the smell of the mothballs.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Get some fly predators. You can find them online. Properly used they will keep those flies down to a tolerable level. they don't affect the adult flies, but they attack the pupae.

1 person likes this.
  9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Welcome to BYC, Puget Sounder! I'm in Tacoma, too. I live in S. Tacoma & have 10 chickens (3 adults, 2 tweens, 5 chicks). [​IMG]

Flies are a constant problem for me, too. I'm headed to Lowe's tonight or tomorrow to get some fly paper. Last summer I created homemade fly traps (google for how-to) and did catch a good number. I found that the best fly bait was a nice, fresh, stinky pile of cecal poo (the gooey chicken poo that's every 5-6 turds). They did work to an extent, but not as much as I would have liked. Since I'm on a small lot, I really want to be contientious of my neighbors who are closest to the coop, since they'll get the brunt of the flies.

I sprinkled diatomaceous earth around my yard on Sunday, only to have it rain yesterday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by