Fly control?!?!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenChik, May 22, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    We are new to chickens but our little farn is growing quickly. Anyway...in and around our coops we have a major fly problem. Does anyone have any suggestions about maintaining the flies outside?

2. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:Somebody posted a homemade fly trap that they made. I'll find it and post it for u. It's the same idea as the disposable fly trap bags that sale at TSC...

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I use these reusable ones ~ they use a fly lure I call "liquid stink"! I got it at TSC. When full I empty mine into a plastic bag and dispose of in the trash as my Beagle would just love to roll in it if I dumped it anywhere. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
  5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Get a 50# sack of stall Dry [​IMG]
    it keeps the flies away and drys
    the coop floor mixed with your bedding.
    it saves on your bedding too
    not necessary to change all the time
    I do mine 2x a year.a real good cleaning and
    add shavings only when needed.
    in between.
    [​IMG]

6. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Stall Dry all the way! In the year that I have had my hens, I have only seen one (1) fly in the coop and that was because I forgot to sprinkle some Stall Dry on the hen poo under the roosting cage. You can bet I ran to the garage and got some to take care of it ASAP!

7. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Where can I find stall dry??

8. drsooseme2

drsooseme2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Marysville
    If you have any pickle jars you can poke holes in the lids with a big nail and put a few garlic cloves in the jar with a little bit of water. I noticed that the mosquito repellent (Mosquito Barrier) smells like garlic also attracts flies like crazy. If you're not grossed out by the mass execution/still living ones you could dump them and start over or just get a new pickle jar and start over or just keep going until the jar fills up...that's pretty gross though. I also put Bronco spray on my dogs and it works for them...that might work around your area as well. Detract them from one place and attract them to another with a trap? I'm not sure how far away from the problem area you can start but slowly just hang the trap further and further and shortly, you won't have a problem.

9. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    I get my Stall Dry at TSC stores. I got a 50# bag for less than 15.00 and I haven't used it up yet! I just sprinkle it on the poo once a week and for some reason I don't have flies in the run area. I do the DLM of coop care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by