Fly Controll - Success.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by matefrio, May 6, 2011.

1. matefrio

matefrio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    My 20 quail were attracting more flies than my backyard could handle. It was getting so bad I was going to stop raising quail if I couldn't get it under control. For two weeks I tried Vanilla scented air freshers. These helped a very little bit but were $$$$ long term. Then I tried the traps. These just seemed to attract more flies. I caught 100 or so in a week but had 1000s around the poop.

Did some digging on the Internet and here and got some Sweet PDZ and found that it would cut down on attracting the flies.

Also got some Quickflybayt. Nasty stuff but as it's not in reach of the birds I put a tin tray down under the cage and left it.

3 hrs after I sprinkled sweet pdz and put down the poison this morning I no longer have a fly problem to worry about. It's amazing. Flies are no longer attracted to the area as strongly and those that are die of the poison in mass that is very satisfying after the fly hell I've been though. It was so bad that the kids didn't want to go to the cages. Now it's great!!!.

The great thing about Sweet PDZ is the birds can eat it. I've put it in their sand bath.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Awesome! And your girls can't get to the dead flies to eat them right? Cause they could get the poison that way...

3. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    where did you get it?
    how much it cost?

thank you

I do need help to control flys too

4. matefrio

Mar 13, 2011
    Cost was $13 for the small jar of poison and $14 for 40 lbs of the Sweet PDZ.

Dead flies stay on the ground. After they eat the poision they can't fly straight and end up dying right there.

5. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:So you are using 2 items here?

The Quick fly bayt
    [​IMG]

and the Sweet PDZ
    [​IMG]

Please correcte meif Im wrong

I really need to control the flys

6. matefrio

Mar 13, 2011
    Yes. The differences between today and yesterday are amazing. I got it from my local feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by