Fly like a rocket or something

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Y-Knot, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Y-Knot

Y-Knot Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2014
    Loma Rica, CA
    Whoever said Khakis can't fly never saw mine! I didn't expect to come out to give my ducks their last goodies only to find them at the end of the pen pacing up and down the fence line. Here are the two Khakis outside the pen pacing along with the Pekin and Khaki/Rouen mix who were pacing inside. I inspected ... No holes. I had to get wire cutters to get into the pasture. Here I am trying to herd them in. Both of them go airborne with ease. The drake landed in the pen and go up to the duck house with his friends. The duck (his sister) flies all the way over the pen into the dog yard!!! Fortunately. The dogs were in the front yard. They usually ignore the ducks but they might find that to be a temptation. I wasn't sure what to do with the little fart but she finally flew into the pen. She is the ornery rouge. I sang to her and finally went into the house. I'll have fix the pen before I let them all out again.

Should I get their wings clipped?

I ordered six other ducklings who will arrive next week. This incident didn't make my husband particularly thrilled. He was a trooper at helping me get them back in the pen. Do you all think they'll take another flight tomorrow? They were rather stressed at being away from their friends but temptation might cause another escape.

I always knew Winchester Houdini would live up to her name!

Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Hmmm... I wonder if they finally figured out that they can get airborne and were testing it out. If it is imperative that they not fly over fences then I would clip their wings. If they can't get in much trouble I might give it a few days. On the Metzer website it says it's a maybe on flying with KC. Part of the reason why I didn't get any. They are pretty light weight so that makes sense.

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    standard khakis arent supposed to fly( like the show kind ) khakis that are used more for production purposes tend to be lighter and flying is a possiblities

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Clipping the wings is your best way to handle it. I personally keep quite a number of breeds capable of flight BUT most of those free range so i prefer to leave it that way.

5. Y-Knot

Y-Knot Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2014
    Loma Rica, CA
    If it didn't freak the others out when they are out, I wouldn't bother. They have a pasture out there. It was bedtime and they seemed to want back in the yard but weren't sure that the way that got them out would get them back in.
    They have a pasture to roam in once they got out. I would be concerned of them spending the night outside and their friends freaking.
    I did order some more ducklings from Metzer but no more KCs. I hope the WH don't decide the do the same thing. I do understand they don't have such a flighty temperament.
    The wind might have spooked them or something.
    These guys didn't come from Metzer. They are the children of my neighbor's ducks. She purchased hers at TSC. She said that her male can fly but she lets hers out in the pasture and he comes back at night. I might let mine into the pasture later this year after I figure a way for them to get in and out without the horses doing the same. :)
    Thanks for all your replies. It means a lot to me.

6. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    My welshie in no way shape of form can get off the ground. She is a metzer baby too. I think her body is too heavy for how big her body is. While she is a smaller duck she really has some meat on her, so you may be in luck there. You can always clip their wings now and then see how it goes after the molt if you want to do it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by