fly paper stuck to chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justino, May 20, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Well, when i was at school, a fly strip thing thats in the coop fell and went on roxy, my EE....my mom ripped it off her fast and there was only a lil feathers comin off...no big ones....but now she is sticky! what should i do? should i just leave her be until it wears off?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You could try to bathe her but she should be ok just a little sticky. Just make sure that you keep her clean if things stick to her. That fly tape glue is hard to get off so it may take some time to wear off.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You could try a little bit of goo gone, just don't get it near her skin...or maybe Dawn dish liquid.

4. Azure

Azure Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    UK
    Try some plain vegetable oil, works really well on your fingers to remove it too [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The opposite approach, which I take when I get something sticky on me or the horses and don't want to mess with solvents, is to liberally dust the area with, well, dust. Fine sandy dirt, DE, whatever. It will all stick to the sticky stuff and nothing further will adhere. Of course it will then all be there til it wears off -- in this case, possibly til the feathers molt -- but it least it keeps things from getting worse [​IMG]

Pat

6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Sounds like you just invented the living fly trap! [​IMG]

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

About 3-4 years ago I had a RIR rooster named Clamper. I head flapping, and looked by the garage and he had gotten in one of those glue traps for mice. Luckly it was a cold day out so we got him out of it. Needless to say, I will never ever use a glue trap again.

9. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Last year my golden campine did the same thing. I took off what I could. She took off the rest and the glue eventually wore off. I did nothing else for it.

10. tropicdoc

tropicdoc New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    The vegetable oil works well. I've used it to release snakes caught on glueboards set for mice.

The snakes did NOT say thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by