Fly strike and now sour crop?

BeaShap

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2019
Hi chicken peeps! I noticed one of our hens seemed a bit quiet a few days ago. I immediately checked her backside for maggots because we have had fly strike before. In fact, I check their vents frequently and trim as needed to prevent it. Anyway, I didn't see anything but then last night she was hiding on our porch. Her crop and stomach felt full of fluid and when we brought her in we saw that she did indeed have maggots. We trimmed and washed her as best we could and then I treated her with Ivermectin (topically). It was all I had that could kill what was on and I'm afraid in her. She was leaking fluid out of her mouth last night. Today, she is not eating and fluid is still building up in her crop. I have "drained" her twice today (tipping her upside down and massaging her crop). The fluid is very stinky. I put terramycin antibiotic powder, electrolytes and vitamins in her water but she's not drinking. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

crop and stomach felt full of fluid...she did indeed have maggots. We trimmed and washed her as best we could and then I treated her with Ivermectin (She was leaking fluid out of her mouth last night. Today, she is not eating and fluid is still building up in her crop. I have "drained" her twice today (tipping her upside down and massaging her crop). The fluid is very stinky. I put terramycin antibiotic powder, electrolytes and vitamins in her water but she's not drinking. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!
I'm sorry your hen is not well.
Can you post some photos of her, the flystrike and her poop?

You mention that her stomach felt full of fluid - do you mean the abdomen between her legs, below the vent? Has she been laying eggs?

It sounds like you have quite a bit going on - crop issues are often a symptom of something else going on, if she has fluid in the abdomen, this can cause the digestive process to slow. Swelling in the abdomen a lot of times is due to reproductive disorders in laying hens or a sign of organ dysfunction.

If the crop is sour it needs to be treated with an anti-fungal. The Terramycin may help with with skin/wound infection from the maggots, but will not treat a sour crop. You can use an otc yeast medication like Miconazole which is found in women's vaginal yeast cream. Nystatin can also be obtained through rx from your vet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Were you able to get all the maggots off? Ivermectin may also help, but I would not rely on just it - continue flushing and picking off the maggots a few times a day for several days until you find no more.

Back
Top Bottom