fly tape stuck to cockerel!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DomiHentrix, May 3, 2009.

1. DomiHentrix

DomiHentrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    My husband put up fly tape in the coop today and our Ameraucana Rooster got stuck in it. I got the fly tape off but now I have a very sticky rooster. I tried washing him and now I have a wet and sticky rooster. What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

Warmly, Lara

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I think he will clean it off tomorrow! Hopefully he will anyway!! I have no clue, dawn maybe?[​IMG]
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    *bump* anyone have any ideas? Will he just worry it off of himself?

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Unless it's causing problems, like other things getting stuck to him, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it starts causing a problem you can trim the sticky parts of the feathers off as long as you make sure they're NOT blood feathers.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Something petroleum based should get it off. Just make sure to wash him with warm soapy water after you apply it.

6. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I had a hen get caught up in one of those i had to cut the sticky out of her feathers.
    When she moved around her other feathers got stuck there in the sticky places and dirt and debris did too.

""People don't hang fly strips in your coops!""[​IMG]

7. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    OOH! OOH! I know this one!!!

I seen it on an episode of Exterminators one time, where they were getting little mice off sticky traps with "Vegetable Oil" - they soaked em up in it!! and the little mice lived! You should try it too!!!!

8. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Maybe alcohol or acitone (fingernail polish remover) cus it will dry fast.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  9. DomiHentrix

Sep 23, 2008
    Thurston County, WA
    Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to powder him down with corn starch or baking soda on the sticky side and see if he worries it off without problems. If not I am not sure what to do. He is molting and it is all nice feathery down right now. I'll update on this one soon!

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Peanut butter will remove the sticky from the feathers, then wash the peanut butter off with Dawn dish soap. Voila! No more sticky rooster. Poor roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by