1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fly

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by worms7, Feb 8, 2016.

1. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    What breed of chickens tend not
    to fly
    cheers

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Lots! But all chickens will fly at some point, I find my heavier and more 'fatbutt' girls like my cochins and welsummers aren't much of flyers compared to my booted bantam or barnevelders.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Silkies don't fly and heavy bodied breeds such as Orpingtons and Cochins are very poor flyers.

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Pfft, everyone says that and somehow i ended up with a silkie who while she wont roost will totally fly. And my cochins will do the same XD

5. Ra_

Ra_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    North Central Florida
    Silkied Serama fly as well as any frog.

[​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Pure Silkies cannot fly as their feathers lack the barbicels which fuse the feathers together and enable them to catch air giving them the lift necessary for flight (although they are great jumpers). Unfortunately though a lot of hatchery quality Silkies do have barbicels in their feather so there is enough fusion in the flight feathers to get some lift. It's a major breeding flaw in these hatchery quality Silkies.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  7. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    My Silkie's (pure from reputable breeders) can't fly worth beans. They think they can, and will run across the ground flapping their wings but they never get off the ground [​IMG]
    My Cochin roosters can fly well enough to get over a four-foot fence, but the big fat hens can't get more than a couple inches off the ground.
    Polish are great fliers, so I recommend against them.
    My Seramas fly well, but they are normal feathered and as Ra said I'm sure the silkied wouldn't be able to (Seramas also have great personality!)
    Anything silkied can't, and frizzles can't get far enough off the ground to count. Also anything with a lot of weight and little wings (Cochins, Cornish X, any meat breed) can't (at least not the hens, Roos tend to be slimmer and fly a little better)

What are you wanting them for? It's gonna be hard to find a layer breed that can't fly, but meat and pets that can't fly very well are plentiful :-Di

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by