flying chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tojo555, Aug 21, 2011.

1. tojo555

tojo555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    greensboro nc
    At what stage do I clip the flying wings? can anyone tell me how it's done?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I'd clip them when you notice that their flying over the fence and getting out!! Here's a you tube video showing you how!!

3. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    By the time they were about 2 months old several of mine could fly to the top of a five foot fence. I choose to cover the run rather than clip their wings thinking that if they ever do end up out and attacked, flying into a tree is one of their best defences. Right now at pushing 4 months several can fly the length of the run--- about 25 ft-- at one go. Of course some breeds are better than others at it.

4. tojo555

tojo555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    greensboro nc
    Thank's for the reply and so quick, the video is great and so is BYC. Thank's again

5. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:Ok not a reply as such but Billfields I love your Basset Picture! I'm a Basset mumma too <3 my hound!

6. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Ok not a reply as such but Billfields I love your Basset Picture! I'm a Basset mumma too <3 my hound!

Yeah. the two of them are great buddies. And both are great dogs. Wilson the darker one could care less about chickens. Even when they were babies and in the brooder in the house they were of absolutely no interest to him. Mollie, the other (whose ear Wilson is sleeping on) has been fascinated with them from day one. Before they were in the coop and run in we couldn’t' let either dog out without being on a tie out or leads 'cause, being bassets both slap their noses to the ground and take off, usually for the road. Right after the chicken moved out of the house Mollie got out. I expected the usual---calling her name to a suddenly deaf hound while watching basset butt bouncing up the drive toward the road at speeds a dog with three inch legs should not be able to achieve. But no, she makes her mad dash alright but straight to the chicken run where she plops herself down to stare at them as she had done when they were in the brooder. So now we can actually let her out because she always goes to the same place, her chickens.

But when I was talking about the chickens needing to fly, Mollie is part of the reason----I'm not sure if she wants to have them as friends who come over for dinner or as friends who come over FOR dinner. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by