flying chickens

sunriserooster1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
We got some chickens of corse, they are growing up pretty fast but now they where starting to fly out of there coop.Now we had to buy more chicken wire so they would not fly out of there coop. What do i do now, do i clip there wings or get more chicken wire or am i totally wrong about it?
th.gif
and this is a homemade chicken coop so its not as fancy as the other coops!
D.gif

We got some chickens of corse, they are growing up pretty fast but now they where starting to fly out of there coop.Now we had to buy more chicken wire so they would not fly out of there coop. What do i do now, do i clip there wings or get more chicken wire or am i totally wrong about it?
th.gif
and this is a homemade chicken coop so its not as fancy as the other coops!
D.gif

You need to have a coop and run that are totally secure so that predators can't get in.

Do you plan to keep them in the coop and run all the time, or do you allow them to free range?

We keep them in there coop because we have alot of predators and we just keep them in there run but we have a weak door and they would fly through the door
celebrate.gif

So do we have to clip there wings so they don't fly and hurt themselves if they get startled or flying from predators

Last edited:
So do we have to clip there wings so they don't fly and hurt themselves if they get startled or flying from predators

You said earlier that you keep the chickens in the coop.

Your question indicates that you plan to let the chickens out of the coop and run.

Which is correct?

sorry im new to this chicken thing i have never had chickens in my life so thats why I'm kinda.. whats a run i know what a coop is but whats a run? sorry i typed the wrong thing
idunno.gif
hu.gif

sorry im new to this chicken thing i have never had chickens in my life so thats why I'm kinda.. whats a run i know what a coop is but whats a run? sorry i typed the wrong thing
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Here is a picture. The building is the coop and the wire-enclosed area is the run. There are different ways to do it, but this is an example.

29779_coop_017.jpg

What set up do you have?

I'm new to chicken raising also but I did have some exposure to chickens on our family farm as a girl.

Just make sure predators can't get to them. Chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in, not predators out. You need to batten them down at night in a secure chicken house or coop.

Chickens will fly so you have to have fence high enough and put a screen across the top of their run area

Back
Top Bottom