flying chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by squat, Aug 26, 2008.

1. squat

squat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    We have clipped our chickens wings so they won't fly over the fence of our pastures, but some of them still seem to manage to get up to the railing of the fence. What is the best way to clip the wings so that they can't fly?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Did you do one side or both? You only want to do one side so it helps throw them off balance.....and even then it doesn't always work.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Did you cut the flight feathers down far enough? They need to be cut about 2/3 of the way down.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Wait a few months till they get chubbier. Only thing that works for me! [​IMG]

5. squat

squat Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    We first tried clipping one side and that seemed to work for a while, but the last time we clipped both sides. I'm afraid of clipping the feathers too close!

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    my fat chickens don't fly, just the skinny ones. one of the fliers goes all around the yard and in the trees. the other flier has started running up and down the fence and hangs out in the front yard or the field next door. she manages to get away from all cats or dogs. i admit to thinking it's cool she's out and about. lol. when she hears me tossing food out the window, she comes in from wherever and looks around for food.

i don't know why i don't clip their wings. guess i sort of like it that they can fly. then again, if ALL of them were doing it, i'd probably feel a lot different.

7. Coachp

Coachp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    Squat- I am going to jump in your thread and ask a few questions- so we don't have 2 threads on flying hours apart--- hope its ok.

How much can you limit the flight by cutting the feathers? What I am asking can you keep the from flying over a 3', 4' or 5' fence? I have baby chicks now but am planning on where they can go when I let them out and they have grown. I have a 3' fence around my garden- but was going to raise it to 4 or 5'. I won't let them in my garden all the time- just during the winter.

I know you folks are the best- please help a newbie!!!

Thanks!!!!

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    A three foot fence won't stop most chickens even with clipped wings, they can basically almost jump that high and even with clipped wings they can get some momentum by flapping clipped wings to up and over a three foot fence.

Coachp.
    Since the garden is fenced and if you have a nice sized yard the three foot fence may just keep them out of the garden. I have several big flower beds that I have just a two foot fence around and my chickens don't jump over it. I only let them free range about and hour and a hald in the evening so they don't have a lot of time to be exploring, however, even after the first frost when they get to free range all day rarely to I find one in the flower beds.

Squat,

do you see the chickens get to the top of the fence? I have had chickens in the past that even with clipped wings could manage to get to the top of a six foot fence to get out of their run. They basically just walked/flapped their way up the side of the fence.

9. Coachp

Coachp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    Thanks scooter. Yeah I have dogs I don't trust and stray dogs every now and then. I will work on getting them fat and watch them when I am out. thanks again!

10. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    My chickens have flown over six feet of fencing with their wings clipped when they have been frightened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by