flying chicks and wing clipping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lorain's fids, Jul 26, 2011.

1. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    My chicks just turned 4 weeks and they seem to like to fly, not far distances but they do fly up about 3 feet or so, and I am worried that one willl get away from us and fly up and over our fence into the neighbors yard. My question is, can a chicks wings be clipped to stop them from flying. We clip our Macaws and Lovebirds wings so I'm familiar on how to do it.

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    You can clip them but I don't think many people do it. Chickens will fly but not very far. My little Bantams are the only two out of my 12 standard size that really get some air. It's not far and they stay in the yard. The others fly a little but it is usually just to beat one another to a certain spot or when then are first let out to free range.....exercising their wings we call it. Yours might explore your neighbors yard at some point but I don't think it would be a big issue.

3. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    M.sue :

Yours might explore your neighbors yard at some point but I don't think it would be a big issue.

That is my main concern--the neighbors yard- And it could be an issue--I don't live on a large piece of property and my neighbors behind me and on one side of my house have dogs. My dogs like the chicks BUT I'm not sure how a neighbors dog would like them. [​IMG]

4. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    We decided to raise ours from chicks in the hopes that they wouldn't be tempted to stray. I'm a bit reluctant to clip their wings as it would be handy if a cat comes stalking, or even a fox.
    It's another of those pro&con decisions.

btw, mine are bantams too.

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I can see where that would be a concern. Maybe you could put up some netting of some sort to discourage/prevent them from going over. When we let ours free range we are always outside when they are out of their coop/run. Tough decision, hope you come up the perfect conclusion!!
    lorain's fids :

M.sue :

Yours might explore your neighbors yard at some point but I don't think it would be a big issue.

That is my main concern--the neighbors yard- And it could be an issue--I don't live on a large piece of property and my neighbors behind me and on one side of my house have dogs. My dogs like the chicks BUT I'm not sure how a neighbors dog would like them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by