Flying Hamburgs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CTChickenMom, Apr 1, 2009.

1. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Sorry, not talking fast food here! 3 of my new 15 chicks are Hamburgs (1 Silver Spangled and 2 Golden Penciled) and they are really good fliers. My question is: does anyone have hamburgs they free range and if you do, do they come in well at night? My DH is now excited to have them free range after seeing them scratch around in the brooder. I purposefully tried to avoid the flyers just for this reason but I couldn't resist these beauties (the Spangled was a freebie)! Will I have troubles if I let them out when nice weather comes?

My [hopeful] thought was that they would stay where the rest of the hens are (there are 12 more larger girls). They will all have an enclosed run, 12x12, but we'd like to create a much larger, fenced area where we can let them out while we are around outside. I don't want to have to coax them from the trees.

2. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have some Silver Spangled Hamburgs. I let them out to free range every day and they go back in the coop every night.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My Hamburg Bantams always go in coop every night but some Hamburgs rather roost in trees, they feel safer there.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My hamburgs have always gone to roost in the hen house. They free range from early morning to sundown.

What they're not always good at is laying their eggs in the nest boxes. Mine like to be tricky and hide their nests out around the property, and when I discover a whole nest full of eggs and empty it, they promptly find a new hiding place. Darn hamburgs, but they sure are pretty! And they lay a LOT of eggs.

5. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    If I decide to let them free range, it would only be for a few hours in the late afternoon. We really have to watch our neighbors dog. She's only about 20 pounds but she's a fast killer. We see her monthly when she's in heat either passing through our yard or coming to see our dog who is fixed. She knows shes not wanted and avoids DH and I but there is a large group of hunting dogs on the opposite side of our yard so she passes through here to get to them. Neighbor, who is DH's uncle, won't tie her or fence her in, doesn't care where she roams.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Wow, good luck. I hope you don't have any tragedies. They are really hard to deal with.

7. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    I had a couple golden penciled hamburgs who had to be "convinced" to go in the coop at night. Other chicks would go in but they would roost in trees. We'd wait until they went to sleep, then go out with a broom, stick it under them until their feet curled around the handle and remove them to the coop.
    A few nights of that and they were cured. plus we got better at luring them in at sunset with food, because the broom routine got old fast. Good trick to have in a pinch though.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    One BYC'er reported that a Hamburg was the only chicken that she had that actually flew away! . . . apparently, never to be seen again.

Are these roosters? My Hamburg, Gabe, was just about the best choice I ever made for a rooster for my dual-purpose hens. He wouldn't go anywhere they weren't capable of going. And at 8 pounds each, they weren't really capable of flying [​IMG].

They didn't really look odd together as a flock, either. (Not, like that Sebright Cecil and the hens [​IMG])

Steve

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    My whole flock free ranges. Six of them are Golden Penciled Hamburgs (hens). When they first started free ranging, the Hamburgs like to get up in the trees to roost at night and I'd have to take a rake handle or broom handle and scare them out of the tree. But that only lasted a few nights and then they started going in with everyone else.

My hamburgs can fly really well too. They are the best flyers I have. They are also the noisiest ones I have!

10. I have two roos and one hen silver.

They go out in the morning and come in at night.

I have not seen the hen laying yet.

I would shoot to kill the dog.

rim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by