Flying / Jumping over the fence w/ cut wings ? Can I put a weigh on a foot to stop it ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nikki_r5, Feb 14, 2013.

1. nikki_r5

nikki_r5 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a young 5 mth. old Jersery Giant Roo & a 3 yr. old Austalorp/Brown LeghornX hen
    who keep flying up to jump over the fence w/ cut wings ? The fence is approx. 5 ft. tall.

Can I put a weigh on a foot to stop this ?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    If you don't do this already you could just trim one wing instead of both so that when it tries to fly out it will loose its balance.

3. Sunyoung

Sunyoung Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Oregon
    Do your chickens have both wings trimmed or just one? If trimming both wings, this can lead to the birds' wings to be even stronger (since it still has balance - just has to work harder at flight). If you trim just one wing then it has no balance for flight and will sort of just... "helicopter" around.

4. AwallRooster

AwallRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Arkansas
    This sounds crazy,[​IMG] but it work for me, I had the same problem, so my granddad [​IMG]told me to hang paper plates or pie pans on the top of the fence about 4 ft apart ,well belive it or not,,it WORKED!!!![​IMG]

5. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Tying something heavy aroung the feet would only make them loose their feet.

6. Douza

Douza Out Of The Brooder

Can some one point me in the the direction of how to cut wings thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by