Flying khaki Campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Angei, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Angei

Angei In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2019
    I have two Khaki Campbells and people keep saying they cant fly..I spend at least two days a week trying to retrieve my Male khaki from a neighbours garden. The dividing fence/hedge are at least 3 feet high. Also I found my khaki in our courtyard, the only way he could get here is to fly over or fly and land on our single storey roof and plot over into the courtyard!
    Driving me nuts.. he's not easy to catch but thinking i need to clip his wings? What are your thoughts on this please?

Raenh and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  2. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    I’ve witnessed a drake I had once aupon a time lift off the ground and manage to fly a small few feet,also a hen who tried flying off with geese but only made it a few feet off the ground.could we see the birds?Cause khakis can’t fly very far.

Raenh and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  3. Angei

Angei In the Brooder

Apr 18, 2019
    I can hear him over there, youd think he could fly back since he flew over! His missus is calling him so hopefully he'll be back in the morning

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I'd clip he may end up in a yard with a dog. :welcome

[​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

They can get height but won't fly too far. Clip his wings

6. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Just clip one wing per bird right? Or should it be both

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Depends on how much flight he gets.

Raenh likes this.
  8. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Of my five Khakis, two could fly over a three foot fence when they were young and light. I clipped one of my female’s wings after she got over a six foot privacy fence and she has never flown since (2 1/2 years later). Even though they could fly a little, they weren’t good at it. I watched them crash several times. I am with the others, clip those feathers unless you want to build a taller fence.

Raenh, Angei, DuckyDonna and 2 others like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I clip both so they don't look lopsided

Raenh, Angei, DuckyDonna and 2 others like this.
  10. The Dapper Duck

The Dapper Duck Songster

Apr 9, 2019
    Coastal Humboldt, CA
    If I cut both sides of the Muscovies they can still get into things. Clipping just one side sure throws them off. (I can’t help but chuckle the first time they try to get up on the steps)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: