Flying Khakis?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Sep 20, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Our two Khaki drakes can fly a few feet at most. Our younger, and lighter I suspect, Khaki hens are getting quite adept at flying - seems further and further - including flying out of the duck house when the roof is opened. Probably have gone as far as 30 ft. But the flying out of the house is getting to be a bit of a problem.....Mocha apparently doesn't WANT to go in the duck house! Those with Khaki's, do you have trouble with them taking flight?

Have kind of wondered if they are a mixed breed because they have been much more high strung, run much faster, and now the flying.

Our hens.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have purebred campbell ducks and they fly also. They take off out of the house almost every morning when I open it up. My drake flies around most every day a bit. They are considered a lightweight bird and can easily get off the ground ten feet up. Generally though they prefer to just walk around. Your hens look just like mine. They might need this to escape a dog someday. [​IMG]

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Just found it kind of odd, that at 3 months they have started flying when they haven't done anything before.

4. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Yes, I have a Khaki Campbell hen and she can fly aprox 12ft high and aprox 40' or so. They are mixed with a Runner and a mallard fyi. and the hens lay over 300 eggs a yr.
    T.

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My khaki doesn't fly at all. She tried flying to me awhile ago and crash landed on her bill after not even leaving the ground. [​IMG] Hasn't tried again since. Her 2 buddies are ancona's though, and heavier so they can't fly at all. That may be why she doesn't try again, flying's no fun by yourself I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by