flying mallard...vs mallard...stupid question of the day

cmbeall

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
North Carolina
I am trying to build a couple of flocks. One of Blue Swedish and one of Rouens. Actually I guess one might say three flocks because we have some pekin hoping to get enough eggs to sell.

My stupid question of the day is....I have seen ads for "flying Mallards". Is there really a difference between Mallards and Flying Mallards? The reason I ask is I have become aware of someone giving away their flock of Mallards. They say they are the "bigger ones that don't fly". So I am questioning if these are mallards at all but possibly Rouens? Could this be true or do I have more to learn about the breeds than I thought I did???

Thanks
Cathy "New Duck Mommy"

I would say they are rouens, since that what tsc has them advertised as, "look like mallards but bigger" and they can't fly. So i would say its people that don't know one kind of duck from another
tongue.png

Thanks!!!!

I am hoping they are Rouens because we only have one hen. I would like to have some more. The price is right....FREE. I suspect these TSC easter purchases. We actually got a duckling from them two years ago. We still have him. We thought he was a Mallard until we got a Rouen Drake....then we started researching.

Thanks for the info and so quickly
Cathy

Yeah, I would expect Rouens, we have 2 mallards and 2 rouens and honestly they are almost identical but for size/flying. But I would look at the flock and check it out it could be a bunch of mixes! So if your looking to breed it might not be a good thing
smile.png

Thanks for the information! I know I have a lot to learn.

Right now I know I want to keep our Blue Swedes pure. I want at least some of our Rouens pure. We also have Pekins. LOL...I'm not sure we have room to keep a mixed flock as well. LOL I love my ducks. I am enjoying them no matter the breed.

Thanks

I got Mallards from TSC back in March and they are definitely Mallards and they do fly. Take a look at the birds before you take them home. You should be able to tell if they are Rouens by the size.

Thanks for the help. It may be a moot point anyway. I haven't heard back from them. It's possible they went to someone else. I will post some pics of them when I get them...if I get them.

thanks for the help
Cathy

Quote:
some people sell them as "wild mallards" "flying mallards" "mallards". If they are toe clipped they are not wild but captive reared even though they might be genetically wild.

My mallards appear to be able to fly strong enough to migrate if they wanted to but they are happy on the pond. Quality genetics produce mallards with proper shape and very vivid colors. I've seen a lot of mallards that are dull or too big or too small.

I can't remember where I read it... but one of the hatchery's websites insists that domesticated Mallards can fly, but not with the talent that their wild brethren have.

However, based on the number of people who have reported their pet Mallards just flying off one day, I don't believe a word of it.

Good luck with it! I hope they are Rouens for you!
smile.png
It's frustrating when people don't know what they have. I once drove a looong ways to get blue Silkies which were... not blue. Awh well.

Thanks everyone! As luck would have it, the deal didn't go through because someone beat me to the punch so to speak. I have another dumb question of the day but I will start a new topic for it.

Thanks

cathy

Back
Top Bottom