Flying over fences?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sukochickens, Mar 18, 2015.

1. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    I have about a quarter of an acre fenced in on my property that we plan to put the coop in. The fence is about 4 feet high. I would like to let the hens free range for a bit during the day inside the fence. The coop will have a run but I'd like to let them out just so they could enjoy themselves. Should I be worried about them trying to fly over the fence or will they be to interested in foraging to care? I plan on getting barred rocks and I thought they would be to heavy to go that high but now I'm paranoid. I don't plan on leaving them out by themselves for long but I do have a toddler and he would take priority if I needed to urgently go inside for him.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    With that much room to free range, I don't think your variety of chickens are going to try to see what is beyond the fence. .. My chickens free range in my back yard which is small and they don't leave the yard. It is only fenced on 2 sides, rest is open. The only time that they did cross out of the yard was when the 17 year cicadas were abundant.
    ALL WILL BE GOOD.
    [​IMG]

ALSO [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    That makes me feel much better! Thank you! [​IMG]

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    It depends on the age and inclination of the birds. I have had barred rock pullets (3 to 6 months old) fly over a 4 foot high fence, but they don't seem to do this once they're more mature (8+ months old). I think they could fly over, but they don't seem inclined to when they're older and heavier.

1 person likes this.
  5. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    We have one that loves to fly over the fence regardless of its height. One night we thought we'd lost her only to find her the next morning roosting 10+ feet off the ground.

Our other seven are happy just to meander without playing Houdini.

So ... final answer is "It depends."

6. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Can they see what's on the other side?

I have a 6 ft privacy fence around my yard and it hasn't occurred to my chickens that there is something on the other side of it. I feel like if they could see, they might fly over. They are completely capable of it, I've seen them fly 6 ft + to get on my deck railing. They never go over the privacy fence but I think if it was chain link or something they might.

7. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    It is see through. I'm just going to have to see what they do I guess.

8. hellokittyfive

hellokittyfive Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    I agree - it depends. I have three golden sex links that are 3 yrs old and one always flies over their 4' picket fence. Then she paces back and forth trying to figure out how to get back in LOL

2 people like this.
  9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yep - if they do you can try clipping one wing. Clipping both makes it more likely that they will still be able to compensate enough to make some escapes, but one wing clipped leaves them off-balance in flight and unable to get up and over.

Isn't it funny how they can never figure out how to get BACK the same way they came - no matter the species.

1 person likes this.
  10. hellokittyfive

hellokittyfive Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    Yes, they can be so smart sometimes, and soooooo dumb other times!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by