flying rouens?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bock, Nov 6, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Okay, so I have 1 Rouen drake and 3 rouen cross drakes. At night they stay up at the top of the hill with the other ducks and geese, but every morning the three rouens fly from the top of the hill, down into the pond. They can almost fly as well as my two mallards, but they don't come up anymore. Now who says domestics can't fly! [​IMG]

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    rouens are most definatly too lage to fly unless they are crossed with mallards as mine is because he can fly well

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    When there young they can before they get too fat. I had a black runner that flew when she was young and her baby that was a cross with a rouen/mallard (i think she was breed to a rouen because that was my dominant drake but who knows...) can still fly quite well.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    cool

5. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:It's always easy for them to fly down hill but do they fly up hill?
    Joe

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine fly from the top of the hill into the pond and land with a very ungraceful 'PLOP'!
    The actual distance is about 10 feet [​IMG]

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Today, I saw all of the ducks and geese fly down to the pond except for the Swedishes and the white cresteds. It was pretty funny to watch actually. [​IMG] The only ones that fly back up are the mallards though. [​IMG]

8. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

My young Saxony drake managed to fly when he was young. He was perhaps 2 feet off the ground and flew about 10 feet distance. No he is full grown and does not even try anymore.

9. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    WOW, my overweight per Vet., LOL, neither of them or there husbands could get there ground dragging bellies off the dirt to get in the air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by