flying the coop

davecash

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
kaintucky
alright my new additions, the 2 sex linked, 1 astrolop, 2 buff orpingtons flew ontop of their little coop which is like a lkarge doghouse and flew ontop of the fense to roost.. well i dont want them roosting there, they then flew into the other chickens pen, the chiclkens pen they flew into are violent.. how do i stop this, or will it stop on its own once thye realize this is where their suppoused to go?

In my opinion, put deer netting over the pen. I have it over all my pens and it keeps the birds from flying out as well as keeping raptors out.

Last year I bought 7x50' rolls at Lowes for around $12. It's probably more now. It's made to keep deer out of gardens, which it doesn't do, but works great to put over pens. I would never use it as a side fence for birds as they can get a foot caught, but for the top it's great. They fly, hit the net, and drop back down. No damage done.

One more thing, if you go this way, be sure to tie it to the top of the fence all the way around to stop the birds from trying to roost on top of the fence.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Interesting. Around here the deer netting is cheaper than bird netting.....

Yes, they will get used to their environment, but, if they're adult birds chances are they'll still try to get out from time to time. Plus hawks can come into the run, that's how I lost my best Marans hens. You will have to keep catching them and putting them back every evening unless you can lock them up for a week or so in their coop.

Back
Top Bottom